10 Greatest Hunting Vehicles of all time

I have been asked to write a magazine article for a hunting/fishing magazine naming the top 10 hunting vehicles of all time. I know how subjective and opinionated this article will be because it's frankly impossible not to. My plan is to start with a huge list of vehicles and slowly cross them off until I reach 10. For that reason I am going to the internet to help compile that list because there will always be a few that I haven't thought of or considered yet.

I am going to try and base the criteria on these parameters:

1. No limit on age because some of the oldies like the 1940's Dodge Power Wagons have probably hauled more dead deer than most modern trucks.
2. Style/Nostalgia
3. Reliability
4. Off-Road capability (doesn't have to rock climb, but must be able to make it through some off road terrain)
5. Availability of aftermarket or junk yard parts
6. Re-sale value
7. Must be available in the U.S. As much as I would love to add (and own) a Toyota Hilux, we simply can't get them here so that's a no go.

Let me know what you got Blade Forums and thank you in advance for your help in making the original list.

International Scout. It was the forerunner to all of the SUVs and you'd be hard pressed to find a better hunting rig.

How about Moose Buggies? :cool:

Moose Buggies

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/moose-buggies/

lynching.jpg

Chillin.jpg

What I've seen in this neck of Pennswoods, the old 4x4 trucks/jeeps can still be found here and there, fancy dan all the bells and whistles trucks/SUV's are more likely to be seen replacing the once popular work truck. Also, with the graying (aging hunters) of the hunting sport, roads once accessible are either grown over, no longer open or too narrow for most of todays everyday driver, the ATV has become a popular way to commute to the deer stand and is a game hauler in these steep, thick with brush areas.

Toyota pickup. Especially '85 and older. I have an '85 Sr-5. Last of the solid axles. Small enough to drive 4 wheeler trails. Bullet proof and gets pretty good gas mileage to boot. You want a little lift all you need is 4 leaf springs. I have a 3" lift on mine.

Good suggestions so far, thanks!

Can I ask that you be a little more specific though, please? No one can deny that a F-150 or Chevy half ton makes a great hunting vehicle.......but what generation, body style or year(s)?

In my opinion the 3rd generation Chevy C/K series trucks made in 73-87 are the best of the Chevy's for hunting vehicles. Mainly because the majority of them were either carborated or throttle body injected 350's that could be worked on without much more than a screwdriver and a couple of wrenches. Parts are everywhere and cheap, and it was damn tough to hurt these things! Classic style without being too classic and collectible like the previous generation of Chevy trucks that are now better suited to being wiped with a diaper and pampered instead of driving across fields.

Let's not forget, back in the day where the one car and sometimes two car family was common. Who could forget seeing the full sized sedans and station wagons returning from a hunt, with a deer roped down across the roof or the hood of the car.

montreal1954.preview.jpg

1408874-L.jpg

Nov1940pic6.jpg

PRGV01P04_12.jpg

Show_Invites_Deer_Artfully_Tied_to_the_Hood_of_a_Chevrolet_East_2816_41.jpg

Some of the next generation try to stay with the family tradition but were born after Grandpa passed on. :D

Q1mozoo.jpg

Some cool old hunting camp images I found on the web while looking for cars. :cool:

Lloyd Roe Deer/Bear Camp Photos

Deer camp is were friends and family reunite and enjoy being in the outdoors.

http://mideercamp.com/lloydroe.html

Maverick299: Don't over look this link. There are links within the link that have images of old Vehicles used while hunting.

I love old b&w hunting pictures, thank you!

Could you imagine the smell that will be coming from that trunk of the Buick in a week or so? :eek:

Putting the deer on the hood was the best way to get that terrible "strong and gamey flavor " !

Good suggestions so far, thanks!

Can I ask that you be a little more specific though, please? No one can deny that a F-150 or Chevy half ton makes a great hunting vehicle.......but what generation, body style or year(s)?

In my opinion the 3rd generation Chevy C/K series trucks made in 73-87 are the best of the Chevy's for hunting vehicles. Mainly because the majority of them were either carborated or throttle body injected 350's that could be worked on without much more than a screwdriver and a couple of wrenches. Parts are everywhere and cheap, and it was damn tough to hurt these things! Classic style without being too classic and collectible like the previous generation of Chevy trucks that are now better suited to being wiped with a diaper and pampered instead of driving across fields.

The later model, after '87 are terrible off-road. I should know I bought an '88. They have what GM calls a drop frame. It's used to make step in height lower. It does that. What it also does is hang up on every mud hole you come to. And you're not backing out.

I traded in an '84 Jeep Cherokee. I got it stuck 1 time in 4 years and that was my fault. In the first month I had the Chevy it was stuck 4 times. The front tires would go through whatever you were trying to cross and then the "drop frame" would hit. Stuck. Stupid design. Unless you just didn't care to take it offroad.

Back