10000 Character Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've discovered that 10,000 characters is not actually 10,000 characters! I've edited down my post to 9500 characters, including spaces, and this system still errors out claiming it is too long. Why is that?

As for the inquiring person who asks how can one possibly need 10K characters to write an article, you really need to read a bit more beyond comic strips. I barely have over 1,500 words. Didn't you learn how to write 1,500 word essays in high school? Or is "I REALLY (written out 1,400 times) LIKE IT" more your speed for a detailed, well-written product review? :rolleyes:
For an article, fine. But this is a forum, not a magazine. Do you also need 10,000 characters to send a text?

This writing sample explains so much. 🤣
Newbies can often overcomplicate things. I've seen it in Many fields, whether it's culinary, engineering, and design..... probably with everything/everywhere.

It's actually very difficult showing less. It's hard to hide flaws, it cuts to the point. Shows everything.
Less is More.
Precise has an actual definition.

idk if we Need more words???

*I struggle with This myself.
I try.

Well, I've discovered that 10,000 characters is not actually 10,000 characters! I've edited down my post to 9500 characters, including spaces, and this system still errors out claiming it is too long. Why is that?

As for the inquiring person who asks how can one possibly need 10K characters to write an article, you really need to read a bit more beyond comic strips. I barely have over 1,500 words. Didn't you learn how to write 1,500 word essays in high school? Or is "I REALLY (written out 1,400 times) LIKE IT" more your speed for a detailed, well-written product review? :rolleyes:
I would be that inquiring person you condescending …..( edited for Blues)

You should ask yourself to whom you are communicating with when letting your ass show as you have. I have degrees in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. I completed both while working as a Journeymen Electrician. Perhaps, after you go get an actual job literary boy girl, you could come back and regale us with something more than a knife story?

My point was, if you actually took I the time to I climb off your high horse to read it was, you have absolutely no experience with any knife that you can possibly need more than a couple words to describe your extensive research on YouTube.

Maybe go somewhere else to establish yourself as an expert?

Last edited:
Sometimes a "character" isn't actually one character. Symbols and "special" characters can take up several characters in count even though visibly they're only one.
This is what I was wondering. And I also wonder if importing content written in Microsoft Word might also contain hidden characters. This is a helpful thought. Thank you, Planterz Planterz !

I would be that inquiring person you condescending …..( edited for Blues)

You should ask yourself to whom you are communicating with when letting your ass show as you have. I have degrees in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. I completed both while working as a Journeymen Electrician. Perhaps, after you go get an actual job literary boy girl, you could come back and regale us with something more than a knife story?

My point was, if you actually took I the time to I climb off your high horse to read it was, you have absolutely no experience with any knife that you can possibly need more than a couple words to describe your extensive research on YouTube.

Maybe go somewhere else to establish yourself as an expert?
Kettleman Kettleman You actually know nothing about me at all, yet in every one of the posts I have written, you have come in and been condescending and hostile. Why? What's your issue? Are you threatened? Intimidated? Or just trying to being some sort of Internet "tough" guy? The high horse is yours, sir, and I invite you to either step down or move along. Your assertion of being some sort of electrical engineering guy doesn't mean you know anything in particular or in a professional sense about metallurgy, knife steel, pocket knives, or even ironic humor (from my 1st post). You certainly haven't demonstrated any knife knowledge at all in any comments you've written in my posts -- just a dour and acerbic attitude. Maybe you do have some level of expertise, but maybe it's just a personal hobby, like it is for me (and a recent one it is for me, although I learn quite fast). But your condescending attitude is unwarranted and unwanted. Please go find someone else to try to bully. I am not impressed. :rolleyes:

100 or fewer of the right words, from someone whose opinion I trust, is generally about all I need or want in a knife review.
You must just LOVE YouTube Shorts knife videos then! :p I prefer technical details, specifications, and analysis. To each their own!

The condescension began with the 2 🤡 above. I don't know what their deal is, but it's not my problem anymore.
You joined a knife discussion forum, told everyone that you're new to collecting, but "don't worry, I YouTube!", and need more than 10,000 characters to write a review, then assumed that you are more educated than "these dum-dum knife guys", when you've apparently never learned that "brevity is the soul of wit."
Newcomers here are often encouraged to read more and post less, because the membership is possessed of a storehouse of knowledge that will stagger you once you perceive it's vastness. We have paupers and millionaires, drop-outs and PHD's. Metallurgists and engineers chat with cowboys and construction workers. You would do well to learn what you can before tossing out your YouTube video research as your credentials.
So yes, you were being condescending. But I urge you to stick around and get a feel for the forums. Have fun and make friends, and you'll likely find out that you don't know as much as you think, but you'll learn far more than you expect.

Or, be the next snowflake to melt down.

Your choice.

I think she's a she.

And...let's all play nice. I know she came off a bit "snowflaky" but we can give the benefit of the doubt until all doubt is erased.

Thanks.
Being a she shouldn't make a difference. Small keyboard bullies are inconsequential in the big picture of life.

You joined a knife discussion forum, told everyone that you're new to collecting, but "don't worry, I YouTube!", and need more than 10,000 characters to write a review, then assumed that you are more educated than "these dum-dum knife guys", when you've apparently never learned that "brevity is the soul of wit."
Newcomers here are often encouraged to read more and post less, because the membership is possessed of a storehouse of knowledge that will stagger you once you perceive it's vastness. We have paupers and millionaires, drop-outs and PHD's. Metallurgists and engineers chat with cowboys and construction workers. You would do well to learn what you can before tossing out your YouTube video research as your credentials.
So yes, you were being condescending. But I urge you to stick around and get a feel for the forums. Have fun and make friends, and you'll likely find out that you don't know as much as you think, but you'll learn far more than you expect.

Or, be the next snowflake to melt down.

Your choice.
Oh believe me! I never said I was any type of expert! I just said I am a fast learner. I am new to this all and I know I have a ton to learn. We all do. We learn all of our lives, or at least we should. But I also have skills to exercise and passion to share. All I wanted to do here was share those passions through some nice writing (I wanted to work on that as well) and engage in friendly conversations, but a few cranky trolls decided to put out the unwelcome mat. And please, Kbrasmodeler Kbrasmodeler , don't put words in my mouth. I never said, "don't worry, I YouTube!". Your just contributing to the misinformation spread here. Here is the actual quote from the other post:

I'm not a kid. A long life leads to a lot of passive information gathering. But until mid-2023, I was not collecting knives or learning about the hobby. But since then, I have done a lot of reading! I follow KnifeSteelNerds, watch a lot of the KnifeTubers' video content, and have learned a lot in that time. I'm a quick study, I guess! I only came across Larrin Thomas less than a year ago...

That was said in reply to the the following comment made about my first, comical post:

You say you're new to the knife world but have made this many confidently-worded comparisons (most of which I'd disagree with) suggesting a vast knowledge of pocket knife brands?

So there it is. I am no expert! I never said I was. Someone else asserted I was, but I dispelled that notion. I am pretty new to the hobby, a student of sorts! I am having great fun learning, and my sources are exposure to many knife brands, blade types, steels, lock types, metallurgy data, developing sharpening skills, and much more. I am a critical thinker, and I am able to discern garbage from useful data. I have learned about budget knives all the way through incredible custom builds. You see, I am old enough to have had several career path twists and turns, always employed in professional careers, always learning more as I go. I assert that what I have learned as a nascent knife hobbyist has been very useful and helped me become more conversant in the unique language of the hobby. If you find my sources or that process to be invalid, so be it. That's your opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This whole thread is too long, didn’t read. And there’s no cap on that. For real though, where’s an expert when you need one? One that’s good at characters and not just the Jetson ship sound effect. Shrugging shoulders emoji gif jpeg,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back