100mph Tape, Duct Tape

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the 100mph tape you can only find at the PX?

Also what kind of tape do you use or prefer?

I feel like this should be in PracTac or W&SS...but damned if I know which:confused:

Not sure what you are going to do with it or the brand you are looking for, but for general use I use Nashua 357. Works really well in above freezing temps. When it gets really cold it doesn't stick. I buy it from the big internet site that I refuse to buy knives from. For actual duct work I use the more expensive foil tape from my local hardware store. Can't remember the brand.

John Deere brand duct tape is very strong and my all around go to, Gorilla tape seems to do very well in wet applications.

I use Gorilla Tape nowadays. Don't know who makes the MIL-MPH100 stuff these days.

I remember one of my buddies completed a quick turnaround on a helo and got back aboard. When they started the rotors up, this flash flew off the top of the rotor head and started growing into a big floppy silver streak as it whipped around the aircraft. He had left a roll of 100MPH tape on top of the rotor and it was unrolling as it flailed around the flight line like a cat-o-nine-tails.

As I recall, it never broke. Just unrolled and stuck all over hell.

To keep this knife related, Gorilla Tape can be wrapped around the handle of a machete if you happen to break the plastic scales. And if you want to make a sheath for the machete, fit cardboard to the blade and wrap generously with the tape until it is fully covered. Insta sheath.

Gorilla tape holds up really well for me. I use it to tape the insurance card and registration under a panel on my bike, and I’ve removed it and reused it with good results. One of the only tapes I’ve been able to pull off and reapply after a year of holding something down.

I also currently use some stuff from Nashua (not sure which model/series), it’s pretty tough and tacky, one of the best standard duct tapes I’ve tried. I’ve purchased gorilla tape a few times and wound up tossing or giving it away, I never understood why so many seem to love it, I had a hard time getting it to adhere very well in any condition although I haven’t tried warming the backing to be fair maybe that would activate the adhesive, the gi stuff though you touch anything to it and it’s extremely sticky and comes close to bonding certain materials

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the 100mph tape you can only find at the PX?

Also what kind of tape do you use or prefer?

What? You mean "speed tape"? Aluminum foil with adhesive on it?
3M 425 tape is the most common one.

The more robust (and more expensive) version is aluminum foil over glass cloth with adhesive. That's 3M 363 tape.

Because of the higher temp rating I usually specify 363 for work stuff.

There are a couple of manufacturers who make similar products. But I'm familiar with the 3M stuff.

GetImage.ashx

I think I found it, sure does look like it (the stuff on the aafes website curiously did not) and sold at a pretty high speed off post gear shop.

@those who mentioned 3m tapes, I've heard good things and definitely gonna check them out!

Gorilla tape

Our elderly neighbour ladys son repaired some missing mortar in a retaining wall in front of her house at least a year & a half ago. Since there was a storm on the way, he taped a 1 ft square sheet of plastic over the repair. The plastic is long gone, but the Gorilla Tape is still stuck to those cement blocks.

Another vote for Gorilla tape ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The metal foil type tape is not the same .

3M , Scotch Brand stuff is generally good , also . :)

IIRC, some big name hardware stores have a "contractor's" grade duct tape. It is heavier duty than their generic duct tape. I don't know how it compares to Gorilla tape.

Back