1095 in tropical climate

Hi, I stay in Malaysia. We have here very high humidity all year round (close equator) According to many people, 1095 steel is the less rustproof of all Carbon Steel. I have a CS Bushman in SK5 that oxidized normal speed if not clean correctly... But this "knife" does not hold an edge at all (rc 54 is really a joke, even for that price)
I have checked few manufacturers, Fallkniven, BarkRiver, etc... And also ESEE Cultery. RC-6 looks very well balanced, but it's all 1095.

For my folder (edc) I use D2 and S30V, so no trouble. On the other side, I let a patina on the SK5 and it looks like a "sustainable treatment".

Is the 1095 a reasonable choice for Malaysia... People from the jungle, your opinion?

Also, about edge retention, somebody wrote on Spyderco Forum:

"1095 is some pretty good stuff. I might get called out on this but I would say 1095 is comparible to S30V for edge retention. Maybe even better(...)"

What do you think?

Thanks

I don't think corrosion is a huge problem if you use common sense. Stainless steel has only been around for 100 years give and take. But carbon steel has been used around the world for thousands of years without a problem.
Just wash the blade with clean water, dry it and oil it well after each use. Keep your fingers off the bare steel ( fingers are acidic). I would suggest using pure mineral oil (sold cheap as a laxative in pharmacies) so u can use your knife to cut food as well.

I’d say you’re good to go. Remember, Mike and Jeff were jungle men first.

From the website:

"RAT (www.jungletraining.com) has been in business since 1997, training military, law enforcement, and civilians in the art of jungle survival. During our survival training ventures, we recognized the need for a better knife for our jungle school. "

I think you'll be fine with 1095 as long as you do what others have said about wiping it down with mineral oil. I've lived in some pretty humid places (Houston, Hawaii, and now the coast of Maine) and only ever ran into problems with rust if I neglected/forgot to do that. I've actually had way more issues with bead blasted stainless knives developing rust spots after being in my sweaty pocket for a day or two.

keep it oiled and you'll be good

Agreed.

I'm coming from your side of the world also. Sure carbon steels can rust, but there are degrees of "rusting", discoloration, patination, etc. Unless you've just about stuck it in the ground overnight or seriously neglect it, just wash, dry and wipe with an oily rag. Repeat as necessary. :thumbup:

I still have, use and abuse my Grandfather's old WWII Ka-Bar. It's pitted, crusty and blackened with decades of rust and gun oil coating it and to this day she will take a shaving sharp edge.
I don't see rust as an issue on a user.

Back