1095 Take down blade

hello, this was my 200th blade. i wanted to do something adventurous and out of the ordinary for me. i named it " bamboo". i hope you like it. it has a flat ground 11" blade 3/16" thick of 1095 done via stock removal with a 1000 grit hand pulled finish. i went for a thin edge on this one. it has a threaded toggle on the tang that is pinned and soldered. copper fuchi, nickel tsuba with hammered flanged edge and bamboo illustration using hammer and engraving chisel. japanese kanji character = april. the fuchi caps are of nickel and copper, they have a rainfall pattern on them as well as the nickel band at the top of the sheath. hard solder was used throughout. the handle is ironwood, carved to resemble bamboo. it was cut in half, milled out, then re assembled with epoxy and 4 brass pins. all parts fit snug on each other, there is no wiggle or jiggle. mild steel pommel nut with copper spacer. the scabbard is 3 piece construction of wenge, epoxied and pinned together. the belt frog stud sits on an a piece of ironwood to elevate it so it is less likely to slip through your belt. it has 2 wood dowels on the back connecting it to the wenge as well as epoxy. the mouth is routed out, so the copper seppa sits inside the wood, this keeps the blade from touching the scabbard, except at the point. it is silent with no rattling sounds. thank you for taking a look.
DSC_0086 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0096 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0091 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0094 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0099 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0101 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0103 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0108 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0110 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0111 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0112 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0117 by john april, on Flickr
DSC_0119 by john april, on Flickr

Amazing! I like the bamboo theme. Great idea.

wow, great piece!!!

An exemplary piece my friend.....maybe my favorite yet? I'd have to mull that around a bit but it's an astounding piece and so very well done....as always. :)

Boom!

You just blew my mind, I really like that.

Awesome

Fantastic job, I like the bamboo styling on it.

This is excellent, bud. I like the lines of the blade, and the detail work on all of the fittings just push the entire construction over the top. Your use of the fuchi and kashira is a great touch, and kind of solidifies the whole east-meets-west theme.

Good stuff, man.

The work that has gone into this knife is amazing. The blade lines are beautiful, the hinged tang and handle are awesome and then you've got the sheath, just about perfect really.

Back