110 Slim Select Knife - red - Drop Point - web special

Jeff O

Basic Member
So, I just received a pair of these things and immediately took one to the stone. The web page lists it as 420HC but it does NOT feel like 420HC to me (I have lots of experience with Buck's 420HC). My gut feeling says 154cm possibly? It has a 2019 date code on it.

I put a drop of Birchwood Casey gun blue paste on it. After 10 seconds or so, it had reacted slightly more than the 420HC 112 I tested next to it. Virtually no visible mark on the 112.

Anyone else get one? What do you think? Am I just losing my mind?

It seems to skate over a fine diamond plate that usually bites into 420hc. The final edge just feels different, like more carbides and harder to polish.

I'm thinking one of three things:

1. Someone at the factory found a box of blades that were never marked with the correct steel and where assumed to be 420HC

2. It is 420HC that ended up a bit harder than normal.

3. I might have hit my head when I slipped down the steps, the other day, and brained my damage.

I have a drop point and clip point and they are both stamped with a 2019 date code. The fact that they are stamped and not laser engraved indicate they are probably 420HC. I'm afraid to sharpen either one because they came sharper than I'll probably ever get them again.

e fact that they are stamped and not laser engraved indicate they are probably 420HC
I agree when the SK Blades Smoke Jumper was produced in June of 2018 it was etched with BOS CPM 154 logo.
Z06KToc.jpg

Back