112 Question for CJ or Joe

JMC

I've got a model 112 (1997 model by the tang stamp),I carry as my EDC either in my pocket or in the leather sheath when I'm on duty. I love the feel and quality. I was wondering if it would be possible to send it to you guys to change the scales to something a little more custom? I think the originals have a real nice look, but it would be even better to spice them up. Also what steel (425 or 420hc) was used in this year? I have no complaints about the steel but(just out of curiosity) if you have the knife in for reworking would it be possible to change the blade to BG-42? I'm not sure I would change the blade as it works just fine, but I might consider it. Thanks for any replies.

I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times. I just found out I could run a search on the Buck forum for previous threads. I see where you have done blade up grades, are you still doing them for the 112? I haven't found any threads on the scale replacements yet. Let me know if this is a possiblity. Also could you let me konw the costs for these up grades ? Thanks again!:)

Yes it is all possible...but for the cost...

I emailed this thread to Joe to run the numbers for you.

Here is a little trivia about the 112. It seems that when the 110 came out our local military here in San Diego (spelled Navy), was having issues with knife regulations aboard ship and limited blade length to 3 inches. This outlawed the #110 with a blade length of just under 4 inches. The 112 came in at just under 3 inches for that purpose...

Originally posted by CJ Buck
... The 112 came in at just under 3 inches for that purpose...
I didn't know that !!! CJ - Thanks for the History Lesson!!!!

It is cool to know a little history about 112. I went from carrying my 110 to my 112 for a similar reason. In the city where I'm a firefighter/EMT, if I had to use my knife for any reason when on a medical emergency, people seemed to get real nervous and shocked to see the 110. I was getting to the point of not feeling comfortable myself because all I needed was someone to complain to the city or the chief. I know there isn't alot of size difference between the two but they seem to take the 112 much better. I'd sure hate for someone to put out a policy prohibiting us carrying and using knives of this type on duty. I carry mine at all times both on and off.

Thanks again!

Am I reading this wrong or is CJ saying that Buck will upgrade scales now as well as blades?

Jake,
I'm sorry but we don't currently offer that service. :(
I wish we did, I would be first in line!
Sorry!

If you are looking to get a better grip try checkering similiar to a rifle stock. A local gunsmith might guide you in the right direction.

Tom

You are actually third in line. I have asked you about re-handling a 112 twice! If Buck can break-even doing it for $35 + materials put me down for three. :D Racer Roy

KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT SHARED IS LOST.

Re-handling-yes!

I love my 112 with the white bone scales:D

Attachments

• buck 112wb.jpg
    buck 112wb.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 102
Roy, I got it awhile ago on an ebay auction, the guy had 30 of them at the time but they sold out fast.

Back