15 stoves and not one works for what I want

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by plumberroy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2007
    So I make something :D I got a condor H2O bottle bag and a GSI space saver cup for Christmas (Do to every one going every where we did christmas early ) I needed something to fit the side pouch on the bag.
    Every thing I have didn't fit to suit me so I made 2 different set ups . My intended pot is the gsi space saver or another stainless cup of the same size. 1st is a twig burner I reduce the size and simplefied a nible will stove. second is a popcan alcohol set made from the 7.5 oz cans both have been tested and boil water . A lot of my hunting trips end up with me setting on a log drinking hot tea watching nature. :D
    Roy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. averageiowaguy

averageiowaguy

Mar 22, 2011
    Alcohol stoves are a pleasure to make and operate. The design you are using is a lot of fun. I like your potholder. Also the wind screen is a great idea if you use one outdoors. I have a little trouble using these in the cold though. I am sure I'm doing something wrong.

3. plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Cut a piece of silicone potholder to put under so the cold doesn't wick away the heat and stop the alcohol from vaporizing properly
    Roy

4. Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Aug 23, 2010
    Nice lightweight bits of kit. Always better when it's something you made yourself, well done.

I must admit, I tried making the alcohol burners but failed miserably. Everyone talks about how easy they are to make too. Guess I'm just engineering-challenged. Or cack-handed.

5. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.) Gold Member

Oct 9, 1998
    Make a Supercat stove. That really is easy to make. All you have to do is make holes in a soft aluminum can.
    [​IMG]

6. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    I love my "supercat." I made mine from a can of diced green chiles from the Mex. food aisle. It is slightly bigger and heavier than a cat food can.

I am hoping for one of those Condor pouches too but I'll probably have to get it myself.

7. plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    I made and have been playing with/testing one today

8. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    On my first Supercat, I made the holes too low. The damn thing would run dry just before the water boiled - D'oh!