153UH handle upgrade or sacrilegious.

I've always liked the blade shape on the Uncle Henry 153UH Golden Spike but the handle's aesthetic and ergonomics did not appeal to me.
7Vtonfml.jpg

With not much fuss and a little persuasion the 153UH comes apart easy enough.
Umn6JESl.jpg

An Elk shed that had been loitering around my shop for years found its purpose.
0tqCqGDm.jpg

Looks promising.
ZxLxNSwl.jpg

After some fitting and fumbling, I like it better.
YRByiV1l.jpg

DK3Jbyhl.jpg

HHOEcUal.jpg

That is the opposite of sacrilege, it's absolutely excellent!! Thank you for taking the time for WIP pics. Is the tang epoxied into the antler, or is it friction-fit?

Idk why, but after seeing your work this got stuck in my head:

Friction held tight with the barrel nut/pommel/screw.

I made the hole for the tang a bit small and slowly persuaded it on up to the guard. Even after a few removals for file fitting it still required some careful hammering to re-install. The original handle was made so it would slide over the barrel nut. I had to make mine a bit shorter and flute a channel to slide the nut into the hole which is held in place with the original black-white-black spacers and then cut another slice of antler to get the spacing for the pommel to cinch tight.

Friction held tight with the barrel nut/pommel/screw.

I made the hole for the tang a bit small and slowly persuaded it on up to the guard. Even after a few removals for file fitting it still required some careful hammering to re-install. The original handle was made so it would slide over the barrel nut. I had to make mine a bit shorter and flute a channel to slide the nut into the hole which is held in place with the original black-white-black spacers and then cut another slice of antler to get the spacing for the pommel to cinch tight.
That is a handsome affair... for sure.

Back