#16 Divers Knife Handle

Anybody every use their #16 four finger grip divers knife with neoprene gloves? The only time I've ever held any Randall diver knives is when I was at knife shows with bare hands (neoprene gloves were at home).. Anyhow I have average size hands and the finger grips felt very snug and it seems like the gips would be too small for a gloved hand.. I am thinking about purchasing a knife and I do most of my diving on the Canadian Pacific Coast (must have gloves).. Comments?

Can you request larger finger grips for neoprene gloves?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

...but I'd imagine it would be a 'custom' order and set you back a few years wait...

And, being that you're looking for a 'user' knife, I'd suggest buying a used beater for around $200, and send it to RMK for refinish and finger groove enlargement...that should run you around $50...

I'd check with RMK first to see if they will indeed do the enlargement that you're asking about...

Mel

Well let me think, I use a three finger mit for my cold water dives. No a model 16 would not be my first choice. All my hard hat dives were with a folding knife. The common "sailor knife" with the marlin spike and sheep's foot blade is what I use underwater, wether a buck, camillus, or case. They all make the same type. Some go for the syperdico. Buy the model 16 and enjoy it. no it is not a good cold water knife. After 30 some years of commercial diving, no one uses a fixed blade anyway. All the best!

Interesting, I did not realize that commercial divers used folders.. I can't imagine how you could open a folder under water with gloves on. I have a similar yatching knife to what you are talking about, it has a sheep's foot blade, a shackle wrench, can opener and a marlin spike. I can't imagine it would be too easy to open with gloves on.

I think I'm leaning towards a border patrol handle

Cheers.

Back