162 Bushcrafter Handle Color Durability

I just ordered a 162 Bushcrafter, it is back-ordered for a few weeks because my favorite seller is out of stock. :(

I seem to remember there was a complaint from a user (another forum) who had the brown/sand finish peel off the G10 scales on the 275 Adamas. Like the color was painted on and not dyed, or integral to the G10 scales.

Is the greenish blue color on the 162 Bushcrafter scales painted on, or is it dyed into the G10 scales? Is it a durable finish and not easily rubbed off causing the actual black G10 scales to show through?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am in no way familiar with the actual process but from what I can tell the green color of the scales is the actual color of the G10... in places where it's shaped/sanded it's the same color all the way through including the chamfered holes where the titanium pins are in the scales.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. btw: I just saw one for sale here on the exchange, I don't remember the details

Hope this helps,

Eli

I sure hope you are correct, Godspeed Tactical.

I just noticed several Adamas owners in the thread "Any Adamas lovers?" a few threads below this one also state the brown/sand color on the Adamas is painted on the G10 scales and can scratch off exposing the original G10 black color. I don't want the green finish on my 162 Bushcrafter to easily scratch off making it a two-tone green/black handle. :)

I sure hope you are correct, Godspeed Tactical.

I just noticed several Adamas owners in the thread "Any Adamas lovers?" a few threads below this one also state the brown/sand color on the Adamas is painted on the G10 scales and can scratch off exposing the original G10 black color. I don't want the green finish on my 162 Bushcrafter to easily scratch off making it a two-tone green/black handle. :)

I believe that this was done on their earlier versions. I think that they are now using tan G10, which is obviously better.

I contacted Benchmade customer service. You guys are right, they said the early production 275 Adamas did use a coated layer of tan color over the black G10 scales but are now sold with tan color scales that is colored throughout all the G10 layers.

The good news to me is the 162 Bushcrafter has always been sold with green color G10 scales that is colored throughout all the G10 layers - not coated. :thumbup:

Nice to know Harris! I have been using my 162 a lot in the past week or two. Handle has gotten a little dirty a couple of times, but cleans up easy. I will say, this blade really holds an edge!

My adamas had all the paint chip off,, the bushcrafter is solid green g10. We have one in my shop and it's pretty swell. Have fun!

Still waiting for my 162 Bushcrafter to get off of back-order status. If you are looking to buy one and noticed your favorite dealer doesn't have any it will be a few more weeks. I called Benchmade customer service today and was told there is a delay due to parts shortage (he couldn't/wouldn't elaborate) and the expected shipping date to dealers is around middle of December. :(

Still waiting for my 162 Bushcrafter to get off of back-order status. If you are looking to buy one and noticed your favorite dealer doesn't have any it will be a few more weeks. I called Benchmade customer service today and was told there is a delay due to parts shortage (he couldn't/wouldn't elaborate) and the expected shipping date to dealers is around middle of December. :(

You could always cancel the order and buy from one of those E-auction sites, they have them in stock and shipping is fairly quick.

I waited 45 days for a knife they told me was in stock. 3 days after my order they updated it to say 'more expected soon'. If its from the same online company I typically use, I'm not at all satisfied with their CS.

I'm not disappointed with the seller, I was just letting people know there might be a delay in purchasing the 162 Bushcrafter because Benchmade is out of stock too. Actually, even though I am disappointed because of the delay, I am willing to wait because the dealer I normally buy from is an authorized Premium+ dealer for Bencmade and is an outstanding place to deal with. They have a large and very nice store in addition to selling through the Internet and that is good because they are about 130 miles away from me. I did do a Internet search and found the other popular dealers are listing the Bushcrafter as out of stock also.

After reading the reviews and comments from members in this forum the 162 Bushcrafter should be well worth the wait. :)

Yes, well worth the wait. It has taken a while for the 162 to catch on, possibly due to BM releasing the knife long after the Bushcrafting craze took off. After looking for several months at knives for all around outdoor use I settled on the 162. Mainly for the fact it's made in the USA but the S30V blade steel is what sold me. The knife holds an edge for a ridiculously long time. Considering what I paid none of the other choices I had came close to the 162.

Received my 162 Bushcrafter today. The seller I buy from got their Benchmade replenishment stock sooner than expected - other sellers are still out of stock. As members in another thread were discussing the new stock is approximately 30% higher in price. Since mine was back-ordered I got the OLD price :thumbup: :).

As some others have commented in other threads/reviews, the blocky and front-bulging handle is a little hard to get used to. I have mixed emotions about it so far. It is a little uncomfortable when holding with a normal center-grip hold, but where it really shines is when I hold it further forward with the my thumb on either the spine or in the built-in thumb recess. For whittling or delicate work (fire starting shavings) this hold works great and is very comfortable. It makes for a good camping/survival knife but not so good for stabbing :).

May I ask what the OLD price was? I already have one and a second on order, I figures I better get another one while the coupon codes were good.

Glad you're liking yours, my next project is spoon carving, I'm sure the s30v will hold up well, just a lil worried about the grip.

I would gladly tell you the old price, but I don't believe we are allowed to if I interpret the "forum rule" below correctly.

--- No deal spotting ---
Yes, we know you found a great price on the Ninja Disembowel 4000 at SuperPriceMART. We don't care. We'd prefer you support the dealers who support BladeForums.com.

As such, we don't allow deal spotting because otherwise the forums would be a quagmire of "deals" (real or imagined) posted everywhere, or unscrupulous people posting "deals" for non paying dealers. So don't do it

The handle on the Bushcrafter is different, I am trying really hard to like it. Only after much more time and use will I know for sure. One thing that doesn't need any getting used to is the blade - it has a great shape, nicely balanced and is beefy. The edge was sharp too, but it looks like Benchmade used an extra-course belt to sharpen it :rolleyes:

Oh, and strangely, the knife is smaller than it looks in the pictures. :)

Last edited:
Back