18" of h__l on wheels"

I put off doing this a couple of days. I needed a couple of days to work this new blade. I guess not having too much to do with the Khuks before these three blades I have now. Kind of makes me wonder if I am qualified to give this 18" Sirupati a fair
asessment. Any way here I go with what I have experienced withthis knife.
As I told Uncle Bill, I like my other two blades, (The 15" AK and the BAS), but this new knife has to be the sweetest thing I have ever had in my hands ( except for woman) in my life time. Light enough to be one awful flesh eater and heavy enough for some down right hard work. For those of you that have no experience with Mesquite. Let's talk about hard and a mess of thorns. Until this thing arrived I was using the AK on this stuff. I suppose because the blade was not as deep or thick and the AK, I at first felt that I would surely have to go back to the other thicker blade. Not so by a long shot.
This Baby seem to work and work and keep on working till the arm is ready for a rest, but it is still ready for a few more hours. And, I don't know whether I am just fortunate or the shop in Nepal (Birghorka)sp? really does make the most amazing knives. I still have not sharpened on of these blades. The Sirupati and BAS seem to be sharper than when they first arrived here in TX. They have also cut oak, AZ Ash, Red Cedar, and Pine trees that had died on me and had to come down or fall on the house.

I'm sorry I'd have to look back, but some one told me that the blade that I had in my hand would be my favorite, but I think this one will stick pretty close to me for one long time. I just love that shiny, long, slim cutter. For my money I would recommend this as a good all purpose blade.
Any comments will be welcome.

Now you're making wonder about the kamis claim that I've chuckled at since day one: "When you use the magic stone it makes the blade magic. The more you use it the sharper it gets."

I don't know what it is. the BAS and the new Siraputi just seem to me to get more dangerous the more they are used. I am known around this whole family as the careful one with any kind of tool, but I have nicked myself once with each of these cutters. The AK just seems to maintain the sharp that it originally had. That's fine with me.

Congrats on the new baby:D

This is the only Sirupati that I don't have (well, I don't have the 25" either and don't plan on getting one--too big) and Pappy's review has caused a furious case of HIKV to crop up--cloaked as "collectors itch":D "But I CAN'T say I have a complete Sirupati collection without the 18"!"

Seriously, I've often thought that my 15" Sir. is a great fighter, the 20" is a heavy chopper and so the 18" must be the perfect hybrid between the two. Sounds like its the case.

Who made this Sirupati Pappy?

The blades demand blessing. About all I do is take the blades out of the scabbards for pix and inspection and last week I looked and found four blessing marks on my hands.

Only one today and when and how I got it I don't know.

Of the three HI knives that I have, I find myself holding the 18"/20oz. sirupati the most. To me it seems to be the perfect combination of length, weight and balance. It's hard to imagine there is a Himilayan Imports knife that I will like better (but I'll keep trying to find one) ;) I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it at hand at all times:confused: :rolleyes:

This knife was made by KNN. and one heck of a job even though there were a couple of small spots to polish out.

Pappy, thanks for the review on the 18" Sirupati.

Just confirmed what I have been feeling for some time since I had the chance to work the 15" Sirupati and 18" WWII that i have: the 18" sirupati is THE khukuri for me :D

Andrew Limsk

If you get one in your hands I'm bettin that you will just love it.

I wish that I had a 15" or even the 12" to mount in my pickup and car for carjackers. Stick that hand in my window and draw back a stump.

Pappy:
I'm with you on this.Love my 18" Siru;just got my BAS and it is a sweetheart,but I don't foresee changing favorites.Came real close to grabbing that 15 incher the other day,but turned my head and somebody snatched it.

And,yes,my Siru has gotten sharper the more I use it.

WoodOwl

Heh heh! :D

I'm glad you are the one, Uncle. If it was me, none of the khukuris would have ever left Reno.... :D

I'd need one model from each kami, then in different lengths, then one for the house, one for the car, one for the bathroom, one to stash away, etc

I guess my HIKV is showing...
Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Sort of like the barbar who always needs a haircut or the dentist with bad breath.

There are some that get away that shouldn't.

I passed on one in Nepal that I kick myself on a regular basis for not buying. Nice ivory handle with gold inlay on blade recounting service. In today's market a thousand or $1500 dollar rig. I passed because the guy wanted $300 -- but this was years ago when khukuris were pretty dormant.

I wish that I had a 15" or even the 12" to mount in my pickup and car for carjackers. Stick that hand in my window and draw back a stump.

Hehhee:D Pappy that's sort of like my favorite imagined burglar scenario. The guy walks along with his gun extended and comes around the corner I'm waiting behind with-----------my 21" Chitlangi poised overhead---------CHOP------thud, squirt etc...... messy, but satisfying;):D

Originally posted by MauiRob

Hehhee:D Pappy that's sort of like my favorite imagined burglar scenario. The guy walks along with his gun extended and comes around the corner I'm waiting behind with-----------my 21" Chitlangi poised overhead---------CHOP------thud, squirt etc...... messy, but satisfying;):D

The khukuri adds a whole new dimension to "disarming your opponent."

Back