18" Ontario machete?

Hey guys been thinkin about getting a new machete; whats your thoughts on Ontario? Thanks...

I've got one that came with a green rubber/plastic sheath that has a built in carbide sharpener. It's held up well, holds an edge and is balanced nicely. The black plastic handle is easy to hold on to, even when your hands are wet. After fifteen years of use the only signs of age are that the parkerized finish has worn off on most of it.

I think that the handles are a bit on the boxy side, but the blades are good quality. :)

The BEST way is with a 1"x30" belt sander with sharpening belts. A garden file works nicely for a low-tech option though. ;):thumbup:

Just bought the Ontario 18" from the Army and Navy store here but it needs an edge...dont have a belt sander...any suggestions... what type file...need to get this thing goin for the weekend:) Thanx!

Has anyone ever tried the Nicholson 00912M 4 1/2 Machete Sharpening File? Don't want to link to it (not sure that is ok) but just found it on Amazon looking at the handy file that 42Blades suggested. Any thoughts? Thanks

or you could get a 5$ alumina sharpening stone at the local hardware store to sharpen it, I prefer that to a file to get a better edge

I still recommend a file to start with, though, or else you'll be spending a long time with the stone. Before I had the belt sander I would start with a file and then finish with a DMT Coarse/Fine Diafold. And any file will do--the Handy File is, well, handy since the tang is shaped like a handle and it has both a single and double mill side.

I have a Nicholson Mill bastard file but not having much luck...am I doing something wrong? Thanks:)

I have had good luck with just a regular file on a 12 inch Ontario economy model. Amazing how sharp you can get those things.
In fact, I seem to have better luck sharpening an Ontario machete with a file than I seem to have using diamond and ceramics on my other knives.

How are you filing? I would clamp it to a table, use a single cut file and a draw filing technique. Take a small number of strokes per side like 5-10. good like, takes some practice. There's no right way to do it, but this works for me and then I finish with a stone

Things are starting to come along...started with the mill bastard, then a Smith pen type diamond file medium grit, then to the good ol' Leatherman Wave diamond file...its taken some time and not perfect but getting there:) Damn Machetes!:)

I have used sandpaper with good success. With thin hardfoam backing it creates convex edge that is very aggressive in chopping and it gives the edge good robustness while preventing binding.

But concerning Ontario machetes, I have found the blade to be very good and the handle works quite well for me but the pins that secure the plastic slabs have come loose and I have been unable to secure them back properly. I keep hammering them back tight but unfortunately they keep loosening...

Back