18 USC 930 g 2

My father gets blood tests done at a VA Medical Center at least once a month. He isn't supposed to drive after getting blood drawn so I go along. At the entrance there is a sign saying weapons are prohibited. The sign of course mentions guns and also states knives are included. Because of that I leave mine at home on those days.
Well today he had 2 appointments and it took a forever. I was bored while waiting and decided to Google the code, which is posted at 18 USC 930.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/html/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec930.htm
Buried in the middle of that it mentions knives with a 2.5" blade or less are ok.
except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.

I thought maybe other's would like to know, if they weren't aware or only read the posted sign that isn't as specific as it could be. I also wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with this?

It also includes this:
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
Now, I don't carry a pocket knife (or fixed blade, for that matter) for unlawful purposes; so, considering the fact that I was already carrying a knife for lawful purposes, it shouldn't be an issue. I would not want to deal with the hassles of defending my position, and I'm certainly not offering legal advice; but I would, and have, continued about my business...leaving my knife in my pocket while I was there.

I work for the federal government and have experience with that law. I checked with our security department a few years ago and they confirmed that we could carry folders with a blade length under 2.5" per the code you cited. I carry a Case canoe or a Spyderco Pingo and have cleared security checks while carrying them. They just eyeballed the blade length. I have known other folks that came in with larger knives. When they got pulled for a security check (they only check a small percentage of the people coming in) the officers explained the regulation to them and asked them to take the knife back to their car.

I wish they would go back to 3" blade length because that gives you a lot more options, but that is probably just wishful thinking.

I work in a federal building as well, and yes the limit is 2.5" for folders. Facilities are permitted, if they have a compelling reason, to ban all knives if they so choose. However this tends to be high security areas and they have signs stating this outright. Locked wards treating the mentally ill come to mind.

Longer blades are permitted for "other lawful purposes" but this generally applies to people working at these facilities than those visiting that "just want to have them." For example, the food service areas at my facility have full length carving knives and other sharp implements, and the medical areas use scalpels and other knife-like surgical tools. All of these are fine, but the chefs and doctors are not bringing them in the main entrance; they are issued through those areas' procurement channels and kept on site.

Last edited:
11th Commandment...

Back