1862 Sabre

Hi,,,,I have this Sabre, marked : U.S.,GGS, 1862, Mansfield & Lamb, Forestdale R I, w/s, knot & straps.....these straps look extremely old & dry,,,,is it o.k. to condition this leather and polish the brass "hand guard"??
Also have a Confederate Side Knife 1862 marked Battle of Tubugan 1862
and
Mod. 1860 Staff & Field Officers Sword engr. (US & Eagle), mkd: Howard Miller and Co. New York....

Is anyone familiar with these swords????

Not sure if it would devalue by conditioniong the leather. You can ask over at CKD in the sheathmakers forum. Chuck Burrows would be the man to ask. I would not polish anything as that definately ruins the worth of any antique. I'm sure the has to be some referance books on the swords.

Mark Williams said:
Not sure if it would devalue by conditioniong the leather. You can ask over at CKD in the sheathmakers forum. Chuck Burrows would be the man to ask. I would not polish anything as that definately ruins the worth of any antique. I'm sure the has to be some referance books on the swords.

Thanks Mark,,,I will definitely contact CKD,,,,by the way,,,,,your "logo" or "mark" is really cool, creatuve,,,,

You may also wish to post your questions over in the "Antique & Military Sword Forum" at Sword Forum International http://swordforum.com/. The folks hanging out there are extremely knowledgeable about military swords and sabers.

Thank you my friend,,,,,I will,,,,,I always enjoy visiting a new site:)

Back