1976 Case 6380

Hello! This will be my first post on this forum, and lets start with a question.
I received this NOS 4 dot 6380 off the bay this week. The only problem with it is the main blade centering is way off!! Its not a huge concern because she will be a user but is there any way to "fix" this so that the blades don't rub? My #38 grinling whittler is spot on in terms of centering. Any way here's some pics, she has already lost her virginity to a couple apples :)
cpXABc
hJAmjx
iz3TxH
bxvmjx
hGmFcH

Hello! This will be my first post on this forum, and lets start with a question.
I received this NOS 4 dot 6380 off the bay this week. The only problem with it is the main blade centering is way off!! Its not a huge concern because she will be a user but is there any way to "fix" this so that the blades don't rub? My #38 grinling whittler is spot on in terms of centering. Any way here's some pics, she has already lost her virginity to a couple apples :)
cpXABc
hJAmjx
iz3TxH
bxvmjx
hGmFcH

Nice old Case! Your GEC is centered because GEC anneals the tangs and bends the blades to center. There was just a post about an off center GEC a post or so down. Collectors often focus on centering but it means very little unless the blade is resting on another blade or the liner. I think it is mostly carry over from modern knife collecting but traditional knives are made very differently.

I don't know for sure if the tangs on the Case are annealed. I'd guess so. But I wouldn't recommend trying to bend them and risk breaking the blade.

Looks OK to me. Not centered, sure. But nothing that affects usage. Unless you bought it to be a museum piece, just go for it. You can try to flex the blade the other way a little, but there is a risk of snapping if you do it too much or in the wrong place.

Nice knife, even if it is off center. I wouldn’t mess with it, to me it looks like a grinding issue that bending might not be able to fix without causing rub elsewhere.
Welcome!

Back