Recommendation? 1hand ambi EDC?

I think this is in the correct place as I didn't see a "Recommendations" specific forum.

I'm looking for an ambidextrous, one handed folding knife, useable with gloves to be my primary EDC when not at work but that will survive if I do take it to work.

I am right handed but keep my knife in my left pocket. Many times when I need it, I already have something in one of my hands. I wear gloves nearly every day at work.

My hands are large to medium size so I would like the handle to be around 4" or more but not too big as this would be my main EDC. I do carry a Leatherman Wave in my pocket to work on a regular basis so I'm use to something thicker and heavier than most pocket knives.

If it goes to work with me it could get used around cement, concrete, sand and mud. Not that I plan on getting real dirty. Cutting tasks can range from lite plastics and burlap tarps to heavy duty zip ties and very heavy duty hoses. But not much more than my Leatherman Wave could handle. Otherwise it would just be normal EDC tasks.

I don't yet have a sharpening system so something that can hold a good working edge is preferred over stainlessness.

Price wise; lower is better but I'm willing to pay for the right knife. I would rather not go over $200.

A good fidget factor would be a nice but unnecessary want. I was thinking about a flipper but a local knife shop suggested avoiding anything with bearings do to the chance of cement dust. Plus, the liner/frame locks I've tried don't seem like they would work well with gloves.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am getting the new cold steel ad-15 which may do what you are looking for. It is completely ambidextrious. There is another post that I and likely others will be doing reviews very soon so check it out.

If you don't mind operating a right-handed framelock or linerlock left-handed, then any knife with an ambidextrous opening method (spyderhole, thumb disc, ambi thumb studs) will do.

If you're not into that, then replace the linerlock/framelock with a mid-way positioned back lock (but the fidget factor will be low) or an Axis-style lock.

Too many options to list. You can easily let it boil down to your taste in blade shape, ergonomics, materials, etc.

I am getting the new cold steel ad-15 which may do what you are looking for. It is completely ambidextrious. There is another post that I and likely others will be doing reviews very soon so check it out.

I'll watch some reviews on it. It is an interesting looking knife. I wonder how much the gaps would grab mud if I had to set it down. But the open nature of it should be easy to clean.

If you don't mind operating a right-handed framelock or linerlock left-handed, then any knife with an ambidextrous opening method (spyderhole, thumb disc, ambi thumb studs) will do.

If you're not into that, then replace the linerlock/framelock with a mid-way positioned back lock (but the fidget factor will be low) or an Axis-style lock.

After reading your post I grabbed my Leatherman to try it with my off hand and it is doable. I've found liner locks difficult to use with gloves on unless they are very exposed like the ones on my Leatherman. I would expect frame locks to be similar. So, doable but not ideal. Right now I'm leaning toward an axis lock type.

I need to play with some Spyderco knives more. I've not tried then much because they look ugly to me with that hump and hole. But a local knife shop also said the spyderhole works great with gloves.

Spyderhole does work great with gloves.
Endura or Delica have back locks and are truly ambidextrous.

I've found liner locks difficult to use with gloves on unless they are very exposed like the ones on my Leatherman. I would expect frame locks to be similar.

Exactly, it depends on exposure: scale spacing, chamfers, cutouts, etc. I find my XM-18 (framelock) very operable with medium-weight gloves.

I need to play with some Spyderco knives more. I've not tried then much because they look ugly to me with that hump and hole. But a local knife shop also said the spyderhole works great with gloves.

Spyderholes vary. Larger diameters and sharper edges work better with gloves, but are less kind to bare hands. Not all of the designs have the hump.

Mcfeeli is right on the Buck Marksman is a great choice for an ambidextrous flipper

A small fixed blade. Similar to this one, made by JK knives. This one rides in the back corner of my left front pocket. I can get it out and put it back with gloves on. No worries about dust and and grit messing up the pivot bearing or bushing. It's a tough little knife that will do a lot of work.

14l2nP3S5LyUMuopbG6o1JvCuQnZ36Q2-DHg8-NaoaB2KMy3f4m8x2q4rdHjpweR6M5-cKgx9XJ9lt3CCY6AwWJE--q1gHUst9Pn36_zJ1B0Kcbjwwdu2BGhOX0uikrYIy0YugmO8OL-wQ3_mICpkldJQzBZTzLqS3uWyWEcMxqoIft5P44M-p95qbH-inL2Ex56U1oebBQukbCvEhZfo2BY6YDSVgD_GvnbNcVBS1AN5rRI4S4UbmspH3L3M9-zmh2x3mZmSAH7DjMcIzjUciEBuESdmZyXGdfdXHYi19UUBJGlGfQhkyqDLdVVZvE893BugbY1pBC1NJ9Hc4K5Rbl_L4RKeZjDFJqynDRN6jANI_gRuFf7Hnivr3egaFL-x_W6X0CZKjOTtBZZ3Dd3aV4uq9o8q0oK28aW4JeMs5rFmbjt8FY8mn0MdcPQxR0_lGXeNhtUSInWDjrmsHUC_nIIRdNPsupVuOolJyt8CLVSMO7KxCBF5ls2kojYM9XytSpbsCuv3WLs6duWd0Rq-6Qm7yGw2W9IrKkwKBNefwY_xsotIZyYKgvj4IRWr75Nd14Ndviy1yaRvg_vLdZccgVtcj3RDHCRIUUgmvVR08B7lS95C80voH8Q3TVTo1OAwVx6dpSxuvfMoOXATM3-nomeDJ2VSLdIjWM3oNFWftWGsGwJQwW-4WbevkMbXxfTvsPJHfZqXS30pUppdEMnT9aW=w480

fhs4lpCzTtdaIjxAcPaJOysqaExEWeHynPNVP82aLzBDNOftIZH_iwmO_1GMsc5H-9fhx277BOqfbwqK4fBlJwkhk2FG_P9WEaSCdeW7_Rl8OThEQb_WiyCAX6aoTTTXuuLQ2-IebUYDxK111JfbrrgZOjoeQ3NpE73tzxhTO9zZNwb4orJhkvsAvkhEodQ1ujs_AZgEkJK4zxHbi28yk4Ct2bqJiXGHK0Bvh4aUzubwGrl2VwGmUfwMV_kuE9MxeoH8-lHMo1ojzjY0k7x5sdDBn-czFAFbUNBm_ASIl0T2ohq8d8007yX_ZiFTnkKBygh1T71BKZWrccMUHhIBrVhBV08WxnXEqUX-MmuvjcxWevs-aTVfLNKxJfCw-d9-KR5sAC3oMTLROWsQ-unHwYa16wPY7b6NbZ1sokPxuGRj8x-WJwbZ2TmSElrzSexsyVcXjlIHIcdZzjEpd0wzHNfSKZBz0iHWJ6FSIIuEUyH41Ri3lPg2uOjUjgHUO065rcbMVB3zH7rPETAYAyrZzD1YaPiNgZCHqGvEL6snryw9Xx87YAiXxRxX0tVNcVeitfSSMWt68N_-8y0wJvS4OUUz9yuNLhpeENP_CAIhYWRruxfxtvR8TJJ-AZ2zlRy0_o5Wn9On-DstX635BmY3RsvONCd-QZIa2EVmbhwad3-HELTJGLaCIuTJnlvbNA-iROaGFA4GYk-Uo0mefu2F0FvU=w480

O.B.

I gotta agree with O Old Biker on the small fixed blade option. I've taken to carrying one almost anytime I'm not in the office. Currently I'm carrying for left-handed cross-draw @ 1 o'clock on my belt, but can easily grab it with either hand, with or without gloves.

If you still want a folder, check out a Spyderco Manix 2 (or even the XL version). Stout folder that will hold up to heavier use, the ball/cage lock can be worked with either hand, and is extremely strong. I can easily operate mine in a pair of Mechanix-style work gloves.

A lot of Europeans who work construction pack Mora fixed blades. No worries about grit, etc. There's even a pocket-sized one, the Eldris.

image.jpg
Police 4 k390 steel or the Chaparral. The police is very thin in the pocket. It's the only folder I occasionally carry with a bigger blade.

Or if you really want that 4" handle, the Spyderco Native 5 (also glove friendly, ambi, ergo) for just north of $200
view.png

The police is very thin in the pocket
I also loved the Spyderco Police but it's hard these days for me to recommend a knife that can't be disassembled.

What you want is one of these. Old guys figured it out about 100 years ago.

1Meo8jH.jpg

What you want is one of these. Old guys figured it out about 100 years ago.

1Meo8jH.jpg
Uh, maybe it's just me but I'm not really seeing a one-handed knife with a 4" handle that's fit for cutting heavy duty hoses and zip ties all day.

Back