1st Japanese Sword...advice please.

I'm looking around for a Katana. I've looked at a few different sellers I got after google search. I'm leaning heavily towards Cheness because they have the spring steel at an affordable price. My budget is around $300. Are there any other makers or sites I can check out before I decide. Also I'm wondering if I should stick w/regular Katana or longer Ko-Katana. I like the Cheness w/the short 23" blade and long 14"handle, is it a good length.
I'm 6' tall and weigh 210 pounds if that is relevant
(I know nothing about these swords)

Dynasty Forge Musha Katana is around $300 and probably the best around that price point. Other nice ones to look into are Ronin Katana and Hanwei Raptor series katana. Ronin uses 1060 steel and has very nice fittings while the Raptor's use 5160 but have axe like handles. Cheness is good(9260 spring steel) but it's fittings are kind of plain. Make sure to do your research, Sword Buyers Guide is a wonderful plethora of information for those interested in buying their first sword.

Wait for STeven, horse clover or JoeP.
rolf

No, no

Take me off any Japanese sword consulting lists. I am in no way familiar with today's market and can only suggest one buy the best they can afford rather than the cheapest compromise of worth. Avoid swords with painted alloy (pot metal) fixtures and the rest should be the best buzz one can find in general searching with current sales, not old reviews (especially old SBG reviews).

Before buying sword one, learn the genre a bit. For instance, look at antiques. Visit sites such as
http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm

Read, read and view some more. Follow links off that page.

If the interest is really a katana, give yourself the advantage of learning about them.

Cheers

GC

I have a

Cheness SGC Series - "Yamakami" Ko Katana

And the SGC Katana

I really like the Ko Katana

I also have a few Hanwei blades

I would give the nod to the Hanwei stuff

The SGC is a simple blade but because of there profile they cut well

Here is my Ko Katana and I do like it

It would make a great Castle Sword

48DD5EF4-960C-480D-8BF1-9A5616484BBB.jpg

A4F28B98-5208-4839-85CA-DD94A93B51B6.jpg

At 6' you'll need a blade at least 30" long. Also the advice given is good advice. I would give bugei,com a look they may have some swords in that price range not sure,

The advantage in Bugei is most swords are inspected by a well known polisher for quality but not sure at that price range.

I have a Musashi 1060 DH katana. It is under $100 and from the same series that the Bamboo Warrior is made. It is a light to medium cutter and I have been really pleased with it.

Here are some videos....

[video=youtube;qEpHfAQKnq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpHfAQKnq8&feature=share&list=UU9Y4nBtvLZLWR7axdpl4gpg&index=3[/video]

[video=youtube;TOUq2sMH_0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUq2sMH_0M&feature=share&list=UU9Y4nBtvLZLWR7axdpl4gpg[/video]

I also have a Cas Hanwei Raptor coming that has been sharpened by Ricky Chen of HSTS swords. I am looking forward to getting that sword.

Hope this helps,

Ray
CR

Fun videos

Try sliding your lower hand down so that your pinky is near the Kashira

Don't swing it like a bat draw thru your target using your back

Have fun wish I had Banana trees

I'm looking around for a Katana. I've looked at a few different sellers I got after google search. I'm leaning heavily towards Cheness because they have the spring steel at an affordable price. My budget is around $300. Are there any other makers or sites I can check out before I decide. Also I'm wondering if I should stick w/regular Katana or longer Ko-Katana. I like the Cheness w/the short 23" blade and long 14"handle, is it a good length.
I'm 6' tall and weigh 210 pounds if that is relevant
(I know nothing about these swords)

I would hightly recommend a CAS Raptor. It would be sized well for you. I don't like the fittings on Cheness swords, and the one that I had was not nearly sharp enough for good cutting practice.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Fun videos

Hey JParanee -- gave that a try and I do notice the difference. I also have a more audible 'tachikaze' (sword swishing sound)

Thanks for the tip, it is amazing how a simple little change will make a big difference.

Ray
CR

Glad to help Ray :)

By having a gap between your hands and pushing with the top and pulling with the bottom you will induce a natural draw cut

Remember owner comes from your core and draw thru your target

By spreading your hands out you can also control the blade better this will make it easier to stop the blade also and change direction quicker because of leverage

Have fun and be careful :)

Fun videos

Hi ya Joe - do you have a You Tube Channel where you post sword vids you have made? If you do, please share.

Ray
CR

If you don't have to have a "real Katana" look at Swamp Rats Rodent Rucki, it is literally bullet proof.

Hi ya Joe - do you have a You Tube Channel where you post sword vids you have made? If you do, please share.

Ray
CR

I don't have any sword videos up Ray just some knife intros and some Bow reviews

I just got an order of mats and I am doing a Bowie Intro for Nick Wheeler and plan on cutting some mats with the Bowie

Might bring out a sword for a few

Here is a link to the Knight Combat Knife Video

No real cutting to speak of but some fun snap cuts thru tubes

[video=youtube_share;fl0m4WAekNo]http://youtu.be/fl0m4WAekNo[/video]

Here is one I did for Oneida Archery

[video=youtube_share;2of9voelKtM]http://youtu.be/2of9voelKtM[/video]

My days of playing with swords are from long ago

But like I said I might put some footage in to the next Bowie video for Wheeler

I ran your name and saw the bow vids. I have a PSE that I got a few years ago. I need to get some bails or something so I can start shooting again down here. Thanks for the tips.

Ray
CR

Back