Handle: ebony, ironwood, with n.s. & copper spacers

Attachments

• first knife 002.jpg
    first knife 002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 186
  • first knife 015.jpg
    first knife 015.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 102
Very very nice. It has sort of a persian flavor to it. What kind of a sheath is it getting?

LOL! Three days ago I was emailing Dave some hints on setting his new Coote up, as I just went through the process myself, and here's his forst one off the grinder! SHEESH! I'm thinking about retiring now. Great knife. I'll be emailing you soon for help, now! :cool:

Steve, this one hasn't touched a grinder. It was done with files, drill sanding attachments, etc. The grinder should arrive in a week though.

Jimminy, thanks for the kind words. i haven't figured out the sheath thing yet, but I was thinking of a wood/metal type sheath. what do you think?

Dave

That's a big knife for files, Dave! Regardless of what you used to make it, it looks great!

Thanks again, Steve. I wish the photo showed the hamon better, it really is nice. Doesn't show the filework, either. I need to make the picture box Coop published a while back. I worked off and on on this knife for over a year. You know, get a couple of six packs, put on some country and western music, clamp the knife down, and start filing. and filing, and...well, you get the idea.

Dave

I hate it when people's first knives look so stinkin good. :grumpy: My first knife is in an encyclopedia under "what not to do in knifemaking".

very nice work!!! :D :D

Sweet knife! That's a lot of work with a file.

You were doing good till you put on the music..LOL
reminds me of a line in a movie..."We like both kinds of music, "country" and "western"!" :D :D

That's not a knife, that's a bloody sword! And a gorgeous one at that. :eek:

After that I would never want to see another file in my life. Awesome job.

Thanks Guys,

Derkins, thanks, but I bet your 1st was great. The fact is, I've learned a lot on this forum. Without it, and you guys answering all my silly questions, I never could have made a knife this good.

Shappa, I tried other types of music, but the C&W just went better with the beer :)

Erint, it's actually a very quick, light blade. The balance is right at the notch.

Appreciate the kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do when I get the belt grinder in a few weeks. One thing I know, there will be a lot less filing! This knife started out as an 2x18" piece of quater inch stock. Didn't think it would ever get done. A lot of beer under the bridge :D

Dave

Dave that is truly beautiful. I think that must be the best "first" knife I've ever seen. Gold Star! And I mean 24 kt, not the foil kind. :D Damn, I can't wait to see what you do next... :cool: -That's Major coolness. Thanks for sharing!

(Although I do wonder about the music - Morphine and The Cure go pretty well with beer too. ;))

Dave,

Man! Thank you! As for what i do next, I have a full tang fighter in mind, but we'll see.

You guys can't be knocking Johnny Cash, Meryl Haggard, Roy Orbison and Marty Robbins, can you? I mean, come'on! :)

Dave

Back