1st turk's head knot

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
here is my 1st knife with a turk's head knot for a "guard".Let me know whatcha think.

I won't mention price here as this isn't the place for that but the steel is 1/4 5160 and the blade is 9.375 tip to guard and 14.375 OA. Handle is epoxy soaked cord.The blade has a nice visible temperline too.

Hell, they don't come any sweeter than that Bill! Great job!!!:)

Thanks for all the kind comments. I wanted to share this one as I've tried and tried to tie these knots for years and only recently found out where I was going wrong.Now it's kind of easy:)I'm planning on adding a traditional style scabbard in kydex for a 21st Century Samurai.

without pics it would be real hard to understand but I will offer this: if you find written instructions follow to the end and then weave your lead line through following the path of the knot. Thi9s was the hard part for me to get as none of the books I'd found ever said to do this. I was always trying to tie it with 3 seperate cords and that just doesn't work:) I picked up The Handbook of Knots by Des Pawson from Barnes&Noble and would have to say it was a great investment.

Looks nice! By the way Bill, have you tried a book called The Morrow Guide to Knots? It and the Ashley Book are two of the best available, imo. The Turk's Head is one of those knots that is darn near impossible to learn without good, clear instructions. That's a really cool application that you found for it :)

-Siege

Back