2 Cavalry swords, 1st Argentine Army, 1898, Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co Solingen.

This are two Cavalry swords from the 1st Argentine Army, model of 1898, manufactured by Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co Solingen.

They have more than 100 years old and they're new, never used, just like a soldier would receive it back then. They were a recent gift and I love them!

The sword weights 1kg and 2.5kg with the metal scabbard. Blade lenght is 34"

I hope you like the pictures.

sables1_big.jpg

sables2_big.jpg

sables3_big.jpg

sables4_big.jpg

sables5_big.jpg

sables6_big.jpg

sables7_big.jpg

sables8_big.jpg

Thanks for sharing Ruben, and nice pictures also. Where did the presenter get them if you don't mind me asking?

What are the handle slabs made out of? It almost looks like plastic, but I know it wouldn't be, not that old. Mahogony? Beautiful pieces you have there.

Lagarto

Thank you :)

Those swords were bought by an ex military on an army auction many years ago. He recently passed at 89 years old and the sister gave me the swords to me.

Maybe they were never issued to a soldier or they were issued to a soldier that was never at the front. I'd have to research some more to provide a definitive answer.

I'm almost positive the handle material is Gutta-Percha.

Ruben

What wonderful mint condition. I love the swords, my wife loves your tiled floor!

I have a similar sword that I have never been able to fully identify. It also has a pipe back, a spear point, and metal scabbard but it has a three bar hilt, silver ferrule and two hanging rings on the scabbard.

You will probably know that yours is a 'working sword' as opposed to a dress sword.

Thanks. Great pictures.

Ruben Calo said:
Thank you :)

Those swords were bought by an ex military on an army auction many years ago. He recently passed at 89 years old and the sister gave me the swords to me.

Maybe they were never issued to a soldier or they were issued to a soldier that was never at the front. I'd have to research some more to provide a definitive answer.

I'm almost positive the handle material is Gutta-Percha.

Ruben

My sword is just like those except it has a more ornate haft & knuckle guard. I researched many hours before learning it was an artillery non-coms sword around 1878 . It was standard issue in the German army.
A Spanish site [ long forgotten-- maybe Toledo ] quoted a retail worth at almost $6oo if in near-perfect condition.My deceased uncle bought it off some young man for $5.00 in the '70's.
You are indeed fortunate to have yours.

Uncle Alan

Back