!2" disk abrasives

I have made a 1 HP variable speed disk grinder and love it. Ben running 9" disks but,Have a 12" disk on its way. But, I would like to know where to get my hands on some good disks to use on the 12". recommended grits? I figure to use the 9" for fine grits and the 12" for the course. Good idea or Bad? Thanks.

I love variable speed controls.

get a hold of supergrit
if they dont have it im sure they will make a few for you
i get my 50 grit ceramic from them

Why?? The 12" discs are pretty spendy, for that matter so are the 9" precut. I use 9x11 standard sheet for all my disc sanding. Put it in place and trim to fit. 40g at .35 ea. last time I purchased. Higher grits are much cheaper also. I have ground 24" blades on my 9" disc. I see no need for a 12" disc. JMHO

I'm with AC. A 9" disc does all you will need. The much higher surface speed on the edges of a 12" disc can also be a problem,too.
Stacy

I use a 12" on my shopsmith. It takes off the back side of stag like nothing else but for fine work I would like the 9". I plan to buy one someday.

a 9" is all that i use and it does all i need it to do. if you plan on grinding super large knives then a 12" might come in handy. variable speed will be a plus on a disc that size for sure. i done a search for sandpaper one day and after searching through pages of sites i found one called hartmannvariety. they had all kinds of discs, even wet or dry paper.

Hmm. with the VFD edge speed is controllable. The 12" has almost twice the area. I figured it for like 36, 60, and 120 grits. I found myself just using just one of the 9" disks with the ability to reverse the direction of the motor and thought I would give myself another option for the other end. Thanks for all the input Jim

Back