2-OT Any info appreciated

I am posting a picture of a 2-OT the only reference I can find to this knife which was from Jim Sargeants book from 1986. As you can see the knife is listed as smooth bone. I have owned the smooth bone version and am aware that they exist however this one is in jigged bone ( The lighting from my scan makes it look like jigged delrin it is however a beautiful jigged bone.) Also this knife is inset with a shield. The flat bottom bolster is correctly marked OLD TIMER and the tang marking is Schrade Walden NY USA. The reverse side of the tang is also correctly marked 2OT. I believe this knife to be original for several reasons, first I know where and when I got it, second it is in new unused old stock condition. I do not believe anyone would have taken the handles off a knife in new condition and replaced them with jigged bone, especially since the smooth bone is more readily recognized and therefore worth more to the average collector. Also the handles have an inleted shield. The closest to this knife that I can find is under the older Schrade Cutlery Corp tang marking, It would either be a C2533 which is to short and has the wrong shield, or under the same Schrade Cutlery Corp a 2213 3/4 (which has a spear main blade.) I was hoping Mr Faust or for that matter someone would be able to shed some light on when and how many of these were made. In fact any information regarding this unusual knife would be appreciated. PS I am adding a second picture of the knife in question to give a better idea of size and the jigged bone handles.
View
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-17-2001).]

Hmm...digging through a book here and cant seem to find that particular model. I did come across a similar model, only it has a spear point blade in place of the clip point. Its listed in this book with ebony handles.

Anyways, you really have a neat knife there, I hope ya find the info you are looking for.

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

LT,
If your looking for more info on the 2OT I can tell you they were made between 1960 and 62 about 13,000 were made.
Source: Robert Clemente A catalog History of Schrade Knives

If you have one you'd like to trade/sell please let me know.
Thanks

Rich:

Your pics did not show up for me...but like you said, I have only seen the pattern in smooth bone. I owned one a long time ago with an oval CRAFTSMAN shield. I have seen a few of the OT's but again only smooth bone.

Irv;

What is the book that you are referencing? I have never heard of it but I am a fan of antique Schrades.

BTW, I see you are in the "Live Free Or Die" state - I'm in central MA - do you ever go to the Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association knife shows?

Irv, Knifeaholic,

Ahhh....good to see some fellow New England brethren. I think I have talked to you, knifeaholic, about the show. That's usually down in Marlboro, right?

I too have an unhealthy addiction to schrade knives. I'm sure my stuff is not as nice or as large as some other's collections.

I had to stop buying for awhile, cause I had a bad ebay habit going.

I've learned for the time being to enjoy what I have already...

BTW, Irv, where in NH do you live?

Glennbad;

Nice to see yo post again - the next one is in E Windsor CT in Oct - you can go to www.ncca.info for all of the details.

BTW, if you want some GREAT deals on Schrades, go to the Sears Hardware in Chelmsford - 50% off the entire knife display including a lot of OT's.

50% off....hmmmm

sounds dangerous.

Thanks for the link. I'll probably try to hit the Nov. show.

Later

Glenn and Knifeaholic,
I am relativly new into the boards for collecting. Ive been a "in the closet" collector for a long time. Recently Ive busted lose on e-bay and bladeauction and all over the internet. I bought a large pack of knives from californiagold which is the agency selling confiscated things at the airports in CA. Since I already had a bunch of Schrades this batch of knives threw me into a collectors kinda of frenzy. I havent recovered yet.
I have not made any of the shows yet but am looking forward to it soon. Is there anyplace I can get a good listing of shows in the area?

I'd like to say thanks to LT632ret for his help lately. He has published a book on switchblades and had a CD available with great color pictures. They are awesome. His Schrade collection alone is huge. Ask him.

Another great book on Old Timers and Uncle Henry's is by Robert Clemente He can be reached at MajorMarket@charter.net

I dont live to far from you Glenn, I am in Plaistow and was through Hudson today, on Rt 111 on my way to Nashua. I work in Salem.

Good to hear from you all.
Larry (guess I should cap that Lrv)

The 2-OT and 8-OT are quite unique in the Schrade history. Both of these knives were made in smooth or slick bone. They are the only 2 models I know of that were handled in this material ( during that period for the Old Timer line). I am attaching a picture of 7 knives number 1, is the standard sawcut delrin ( plastic) material usually associated with this line of knives. This line of knives began in around 1958 after Schrade had moved from Walden to Ellenville. At this time Schrade was looking for alternative less expensive easier to prepare handle materials. The came up with Wonda Wood, K horn ( originally in cell then plastic) and jigged plastic. Sawcut delrin became the chosen material for this line. #2 in the picture is a 2-OT handled in real jigged bone it is marked with old timer on the bolster. It also has a shield and handled this way (originally )it is quite rare. #4 is also a 2-OT handled in slick bone. A few ( under a 100) of these knives were made with sheepsfoot blades. 2-OT knives carry the Schrade Walden tang used from 46-72. #5 is the predecessor of this model knife ( called the Washington pattern). It also has the crimped top bolster however is has a spear blade versus the clip on the 2-OT models, this one is in coco bolo with a shield in the handle it is a model 2111 3/4 and marked Schrade on the bottom bolster. These were also made handled in celluloid, and bone. They carry the early marking of Schrade Cut Co used from 1903-46. #6 is an 8-OT handled in slick bone with an old timer shield. its tang is also Schrade Walden as is #7 which is handled in jigged bone but unlike the 2-OT is given a separate # of 881. This is unlike the 2-OT due to the 2-OT having its marking on the bottom bolster unlike other knives. I included a picture of knife #3 because its shows Schrade introduced the slick bone years later ( under the present tang marking ) when they introduced there heritage line. Good Hunting LT

Back