2 part question

I have a knife, says "Original Bowie Knife" on the blade. I've tried to look up some info on the manufacturer of the knife and can't find anything. I know it is very old, has bone handle grips, full tang, 1/4 of an inch thick...and is 12 inches overall w/7'' blade.
I realize even though it's old, it's a commerically manufactured knife. But I'd like to find out it's date of manufacture and origin. It has a box ecthed in the blade with the letters AU or AI and over the letters are hash marks like you'd draw above a sunshine (sorry, best that i can describe)
Anyone have any knowledge or know where I could find out anything about it. I've spent a couple of hours on the web looking, but nothing specific. And please...no one recommend a damn book...you wouldn't toss a man broke down on the side of the road, an effin' HotRod magazine would ya? :)
Question#2: Anyone here ever use an old file for blade stock?

1) Probably made for export to the Australian gold fields circa.1850.Either Shefield or USA made.Could be as late as 1900.
2) OLD files make good knives (new files are case hardened),They are high carbon steel with extra hardeners.Forge as if it is 1095.Oil quench. Temper whole blade at 375 and then draw the spine down fairly soft. Hope this helps.

Under the ecthed box are the words "Solingen Germany". Sorry I neglected to mention that. What was your source of information, Bladsmth? Was it AU or AI in the etched box? I know this was the manufacturers mark. But can't find any related info.

Thanks for the info on the file. I have several that in the 30 to 40 year old range. We have tons of Blacksmiths here; I think I'll pay one a visit and try to learn a little about making my own blade from the few files I have. If I can find one willing to teach me a little about forging steel.

I had one in the late 50's, early 60's that said the same thing. I believe they're still imported from Germany.
Try the Bernard Levine knife identification forum in the General forums list. That's what they do. Maybe they could narrow the mfg., date down a bit.

Old files? No, I don't use them.

I was going on the general info.My Australian Bowie book did not list the "Original Bowie" ,but the basic type with the AU or Australia is typical of the export models.It may well be a more recent german copy,since it is marked Solingen.When you said,"very old",I assumed (I know what it stands for) you ment 100-150 years.Acording to your definition ,I am "Very Old".I guess that makes Bill Moran and George Herron "Ancient".

Ummm, don't know Bill or George there, Bladsmth...sorry! I would think that the knife is 20's to 30's era? Perhaps not. If so that would by my definition classify it as "old"....If I had thought it to be 100+ years....I would have said "Antique". ;)

Just yankin' your chain.Bill Moran is the godfather of modern bladesmithing,founder of the ABS.George Herron was declared a living treasure in SC.I think you may want to check and see if you have a Boker "Original Bowie".It is the only knife branded by that name I can find.Current makers mark is a tree in a circle.They are a Solingen company. Good luck websearching your knife.

I have a knife that sounds similar to this one. I'm doing a repair job on it. Putting a bone handle and brass guard on it plus basic refurbishing of the blade. It would be interesting to hear about it's history.
Scott

Back