2 Stockmans (Case and Queen)

Hi Guys,

A while back I asked for advice in finding a Stockman. Based on that I picked up a Case 6318 and a Queen #26. The Case was about $40 and the Queen about $50.

Before going on let me say that I have never owned a Case or Queen.

Fit and Finish: I’d have to give this to Queen. I am very impressed with the Queen’s finish for a production knife.

Grinds: Case wins by far. The Queen grinds suck and the D2 was a serious pain to sharpen. With good advice and $60 in diamond stones I finally got it sharp.

Blade to Handle Ratio: Queen wins this round. Take a look at the photos and you will see that the Case (3 5/8”) is a bigger knife than the Queen (3 ¼”). The thing that surprised me is that the blades on the Queen are pretty much the same size as the Case. Only the sheepsfoot blade is noticeably larger on the Case. I would have thought that the main blade on the Case would have been longer. There is plenty of room for the Case to have a longer main blade but they didn’t take advantage of that.

I’m carrying the Queen and it gives me good vibes.

The last photo is the set up that I ended up using for sharpening. I had trouble using the Gatco and DMT knife holders since the blades on the Queen are so small. Tonight I used the Sharpmaker to hold the diamond stone at the proper angle and it worked really well.

Thanks for all of your input.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4652.JPG
    IMG_4652.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4655.JPG
    IMG_4655.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4658.JPG
    IMG_4658.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 86
I agree on what you say...

My first three stockmans were a Case 3318 CV in yellow, a MooreMaker carbon in yellow, a Queen #26 in Delrin.
The grinds I got on the Queen were not bad at all.
The price difference between the Case and Queen was $5.

Pretty sure that D2 is a tool steel, not a stainless, just less prone to staining than other carbon tool steels. As for the stainless thing, while I prefer carbon, there are plenty of good stainless steels out there. I've had good results with VG-10 for example. So, in short, all generalizations are false--even this one. :p

Gautier

D2, like all stainless, is garbage. Stick with CV.

Always.

Cattleking, I'd have to take issue with your blanket statement even if I didn't have enough experience to know that D2 is a fine using steel in a knife.

Let's try to get our point across without ruffling any feathers if you don't mind. This forum works well because of the cooperation and respect amongst its members.;) :thumbup: :cool:

How is the fit between the blades and liners,IE, any blade wobble? Does the backspring stick out past the liners on either knife when in the open position?

I carry Queens in D2 and Cases in CV and SS, what is there to say But I like them all. :)
Just Great Knives to carry and use as EDC's.

Navihawk, the fit is excellent. I'm wanting to get a custom stockman but I don't know if I'll be 10 times happier. No issues with the areas you brought up. It does have half stops but the backspring does stick out past the liners when in the half position.
Dave

Back