2 vs 3 layer SAK

2 vs 3 layer SAK?

• 2 Layer

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • 3 Layer

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right now I'm carrying a Bantam. My other house SAKs are 2 layers. When I go out I carry a 4.
I do own a Super Tinker that doesn't get much use tho.
I hope I didn't draw that too far off of your question.

Four layers for me (Explorer Plus), but when I'm feeling spicy I can drop down to a three layer Super Tinker.

0ZRGZRH.jpg

Victorinox Super Tinker.

I do have both 2 and 3 layers, and I think it largely depends what I need for the the day. Personally, I carry a 4 layers most of the time, since it covers virtually all my tool needs 80% of the time.

One and two layer for me. Anymore and it starts getting too bulky for daily carry with all the other stuff I carry. Bantam, waiter, executive, cadet, classic, are my most carried SAK's for many years.

3 layers for me.
I love my Tourist and my Sportsman and the Spartan, but I miss the large scissors too much.
So I usually carry my Climber.
Also, for me, 3 layers is more comfortable in my hand.

Two layers for me, although sometimes I carry a Camper instead.

The Rambler, Tourist, serrated Recruit, and alox Soldier are favourites. All are unobtrusive in my pockets.

If I'm going to carry anything thicker than a Camper, I feel it may as well be the entire pig: a Swisschamp. It fits in my jeans watch pocket. I do carry a mix of SAKs at work, each for particular attributes.

Also, for me, 3 layers is more comfortable in my hand.
I find this with the 91mm range. It's one reason why I prefer the Camper over the Spartan, even though I like the Spartan's toolset. Yet, for some reason, the 2 layer 84mm knives feel ok in my hand.

84mm 2 layer when I carry one, currently a green cadet I just got.

For me it's a knife with tools and not a multitool, so easy carry is a must and I don't need everything but the kitchen sink on my pocket knife so the basic scout format is what I prefer.

It would depend on whether it's Alox or not. A single layer Alox is very thin.
But as jackknife said, it's really about the tools I think I'll need.

My daily SAK carry(s) are customs, a three layer based on a small Cybertool which is as thick as an Explorer and a 5 layer Alox which is about the same.

As long as the tools included on the 84, 91 and 93 mm models are used regularly and it doesn’t have unnecessary junk on it, I’m fine with 2 or 3 layers in my pocket. The corkscrew gets a pass because of the small screwdriver that rides in it, and I guess I’m ok with the file on a cadet because it can turn a phillips screw.

PS...
hey Victorinox...GIVE ME MY Cadet X!!

Carry? 2 layer.
To have handy? 3+ layers.

That's always the challenge, right?

My most often pocket-carried SAKs are:
  • Manager
  • Sportsman
  • Super Tinker (though this feels thick at first)
  • Explorer Plus (rarely; too thick)
When I'm not afraid to look silly with a belt pouch, I carry either my:
  • Explorer Plus, or
  • CyberTool M/34
I have many others that I carry for special occasions, but rarely.

Back