2011 Nyala vs 2020 Nyala

It's interesting to compare the 2011 model with the 2020 version. I'm on the fence as to which I prefer. The newer one has an almost bead blasted finish compared with the 2011 which looks obviously stonewashed . The grips are very different as well. The newer one's micarta is somewhat coarsely finished, almost rough to the touch and dark brown. The 2011's grips are more polished and a different shade of brown. Lastly the 2011's hardness is 58-59 per the b card, while the 2020's hardness is not indicated. I'm leaning towards the older one, it just looks a bit more refined, which it probably is. I'm guessing the hardness on the newer one is 59-60 like most of the newer CRK blades, so there's that to factor in.
IMG_0074 (1).jpeg

The older one also has a very different plunge line. It is more curved. And the curve of the finger guard looks more "open" in the photo. But maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

L longun I hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it--I see that. I will say the 2011 (bottom) feels slightly better in my hand. It maybe my imagination.

I couldn't use the old Nyala without gloves until I got a new set of scales made for it.

Last edited:
GermanyChris GermanyChris , How easy was it to remove the stock scales, did they come right off once unscrewed or are they glued as well as screwed on?

I will have to look at mine. I have the originals when they first came out, even one with PVD coating and the newest ones just as they were discontinued. Interesting.

I have used my original 2, a drop point and Insingo exclusively for deer processing and they have excelled at that. Very Highly Recommended Blade. Shame it was discontinued.

I will have to look at mine. I have the originals when they first came out

Id like to see pics of the first ones. I had read somewhere that the first 50 had a different color natural micarta than the batches after that. Please post pics if you can.

I had one of the first, years ago. Probably was not one of the first 50 because it closely matches my 2011 except it no Idaho Made markings. Used it on deer a lot and it was great for that. Then I took it for an extended camping trip and was a bit disappointed--but really I think it was my knife skills and sharpening skills that were lacking. After years at my second career cooking professionally I have improved in both those areas acceptably and now I'm delighted with my "new" Nyala. I like it so much I bit the bullet and contacted the folks at Gfeller for an original style left handed sheath. It's on the way. If anyone is interested in a right handed sheath, PM me.

5A53BD4E-FD60-4E8E-86B4-10C95C0DE4E2.jpeg Here ya go. Sorry for the delay. The Insingo has the PVD coating and the different color handle vs the drop point that was the norm for many years.

i hope to score an Insingo version one of these days.
I am surprised and knowing CRK not so surprised at how quick they dried up. I am even more surprised that they were discontinued in the first place. I use both of mine to process my deer and both perform exceptionally well.

nyefmaker nyefmaker , you’ve mentioned the Ubejane in your posts—How does that compare with the Nyala? Is it too big and heavy for deer? Which is better? I’m asking because I’m hoping to get an OPK if one ever turns up at a semi reasonable price, and the Ubejane seems like a good choice, that or a Mountaineer.

Back