2012 Steel UPGRADE D2

GianniLion

LionSteel Moderator
We have decided to make an upgrade to the steel that we are using for some of our knives.
We will change the steel from 440C to D2.

For this reason all the LionSteel items with blades made with 440C will have, from 2012, the blade made of D2.

The knife family that will have this change are:
Opera
Daghetta
Skinner
M2
Mini

GREAT news.:thumbup:
I must admit I was put off buying knives with 440c and would guess others were too.
Can't wait to get a Daghetta in D2.

Thanks for the info Gianni, can you tell a little about the change.

Basically, what is the reason behind the switch? Also, what will be the HRc hardness on the knives?

Thank you for your time :thumbup:

We think that D2 is a better steel for the knives that we produce. We have used it for other projects and we are very happy with the result.
We think that with this change the knives will have a good improvements because it keep the edge for longer time than 440C. Maybe we have lost something in rust resistance... anyway, this one is the reason. The hardness will be around 59 HRC.

The prices will change.
Daghetta:
8700 G10 handle and satin finish blade €56.00
8701 G10 handle and black finish blade €60.00

Thank you! Those prices are awesome I thought that there will be a much bigger difference but a change in 7 euros for the satin finish blade is simply great. I've been looking at tat model for quite some time and now will most definitely get one for my birthday in January!

It's nice to offer a variety,still love the 440c ,D2 is also good ,but I like having a steel that can be sharpened without to much effort,so I'm going to miss the 440c(just ordered the m2 from the net)

d2 is a good choice. sharpens nice and wont rust with most responsible use. their is a lot to say about a good carbon steel blade.

Happy New Year.

Congratulations, D2 replacing 440C is a great idea.

How soon will you be ready to take orders for M2 G10 D2 steel blade on your website ?

Thanks and regards

Next week I will change the web site version and prices.

Hi,
any news about the M2 G10 with D2 blade?
It is in the 2012 .pdf catalog but I could not spot it in your website shop (or any other shop either).
Thanks

Hi Gianni, nice to have D2 steel but I also like to have a fully stainless steel for food preparation during excursion, I always have stainless steel on folders.
ok ok D2 is near stanless
Why don't you take both?
Is a very good thing when you can choose.

Hi Gianni, nice to have D2 steel but I also like to have a fully stainless steel for food preparation during excursion, I always have stainless steel on folders.
ok ok D2 is near stanless
Why don't you take both?
Is a very good thing when you can choose.

yes... two it is better then one... but it is expensive keep all the LionSteel knives in both steels versions.

So, when will you be able to order the upgraded steel versions? It's been 4 months now and still the site lists the blade steel as 440. I've been holding back on waiting for the upgrade to buy an aluminum Daghetta, as I already have enough knives with 440 and no with D2, yet I still can't order it...

Check the new catalog to see the improvement and codes, I put there the new working link to it!

Back