??????????

Regarding failure and stock thickness, while I do agree quite strongly about design influencing blade use, I have some very thin blades that can handle even heavy chopping without any problems. I have a Bolo from Tramontina for example which is only 1/8" thick, which has a very wide edge grind, which tapers to 13-15 degrees at the very edge.

The main problem with most blades breaking is a lack of impact toughness which causes them to shatter. You simply can't do this to properly tempered spring or carbon steel. However most manufacturers are using steels that inherently are very brittle, or are simply running the hardness too high, because of the current belief that 60 RC makes a good knife regardless of steel or blade type.

If the Ontario khukuri had a proper heat treat, of good quality 1095, the most that would have happened, on a glancing hit into a knot, would have been a slight edge ripple. You should not be able to induce edge blow outs on such knives. However, Ontario has one of the worst QC that I have ever seen, so it doesn't surprise me that it broke as it did.

-Cliff

Cliff, thanks for the information. I will most likely stay clear of any Ontario products. I know that my son will.

It has taken me a lot of years to find knives that will do just about anything I want a knife to do so, I don't think I'll switch around anymore. It seems that everything that I have from HI has turned out to be a very good knife.

Again, Thank you, Have a good day and God Bless:)

Thanks again for more good input.

Product knowledge is the best sales tool there is -- or the worst. This is why, I think, that the people who know knives best are HI's best customers and one of the reasons I beg for field reports whether they are good or bad. Experience tells me that I'll get 300 good reports to one bad one and I'm satisfied with that. Even the bad reports can help because they emphasize HI's willingness to make things right and customer service is an important consideration these days.

Back