Votes: 120 46.0%
  • Paper Micarta - $

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • Burlap Micarta - $

Votes: 142 54.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are in Poll 5.3: Synthetic Handle Materials

If you are just joining, the knife that has been built thus far for the 2018 BF Knife is a 2 Bladed Buck 301, Clip and Sheepsfoot on opposite ends of the knife. Your blade steel is CPM-154 with a tang stamp and the bolsters are NICKEL SILVER. And it seems to be a lock that both blades will have FFG.

Now that poll 5/8: Handle Materials has given us tons of input for handle choices, we've created 3 new polls. These polls will feature the following broad categories for handle materials:

Poll 5.1: Wood - LINK HERE
Poll 5.2: Animal - LINK HERE
Poll 5.3: Synthetic

These polls will run until 5/23. A Champion Material will emerge from each poll, a Wood Material Champion, an Animal Material Champion, and a Synthetic Material Champion. These Champions will face off in a Battle Royale, winner takes all bout.

So, as always, battle it out and choose your champion. To add some spice into the mix, you will be given the ability to VOTE FOR 2 OPTIONS in each poll. After all, if you're choosing your champion, you may as well have 2 horses in the race!

* I think it's fair to ask that if you have no interest in ordering a knife, please do not vote, but please do participate in the discussions!

I’m really trying to maintain my traditional street cred by rooting for a natural material, but secretly I would love burlap to win.
I’ve lusted after many knives with burlap but never pulled the trigger. It might be time to change that!

If I am to have a knife clad in micarta, then I would prefer the rougher stuff like canvas or burlap.

If I am to have a knife clad in micarta, then I would prefer the rougher stuff like canvas or burlap.
I could like the rougher stuff on a big fixed blade knife, but not on a pocket knife.

I will admit that the burlap looks kinda cool, for a synthetic. Can someone who's held one tell me what it feels like? Is it slick on top like acrylic, or do the fibers stick out like on the natural canvas we got on last years BF Barlow?

Burlap Micarta is my first choice. I liked how that sample knife looked with it, in one of the original polls.
G10 is my second choice. I have a 371 with G10 covers (yeah, the 2015(?) Walmart special), and like those covers. Nice and "grippy". :)

In general, I truly do like the look of burlap, but compared to other micarta materials, the “weave” of burlap is much less dense, and I’m thinking it looks much, much better on a larger knife, with more surface area in the handle area. With a lager handle, you get more “repeats” of the weave if you take my meaning.

For the small size of the the knife we are designing, I can’t help but think that a micarta material with a tighter weave is going to look much better. I’m thinking burlap may look awkward, or at least not as good as we’d like on a knife the size of a stockman type knife.

Just food for thought as you visualize the final product, since that’s all we can do at this point.

In general, I truly do like the look of burlap, but compared to other micarta materials, the “weave” of burlap is much less dense, and I’m thinking it looks much, much better on a larger knife, with more surface area in the handle area. With a lager handle, you get more “repeats” of the weave if you take my meaning.

For the small size of the the knife we are designing, I can’t help but think that a micarta material with a tighter weave is going to look much better. I’m thinking burlap may look awkward, or at least not as good as we’d like on a knife the size of a stockman type knife.

Just food for thought as you visualize the final product, since that’s all we can do at this point.

Here's an example from a previous thread. Reposting here in case you or others missed it. :)

Soulless! I offer subject A in rebuttal.

View attachment 906495

20180427_071122.jpg

...For the small size of the the knife we are designing, I can’t help but think that a micarta material with a tighter weave is going to look much better. I’m thinking burlap may look awkward, or at least not as good as we’d like on a knife the size of a stockman type knife...
Agreed. You said it better than I ever could have.

I could like the rougher stuff on a big fixed blade knife, but not on a pocket knife.

I will admit that the burlap looks kinda cool, for a synthetic. Can someone who's held one tell me what it feels like? Is it slick on top like acrylic, or do the fibers stick out like on the natural canvas we got on last years BF Barlow?

I think we agree. I should have perhaps worded my preference differently.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I prefer the look of the looser weave in canvas and burlap. From the looks of the burlap sample that skblades skblades provided, it looks like it is pretty smooth. I wouldn't necessarily want what his sample displays on one of my fixed blades as it appears to be more epoxy than fibers but on a pocket knife it could probably work out quite well.

Here's an example from a previous thread. Reposting here in case you or others missed it. :)

View attachment 907580

Thanks for re-posting that picture. It comes down to personal taste, but that just looks strange to me. It looks like a photograph was laminated onto the handle. I’ve seen pictures of burlap on larger handles that I’ve really liked. Smaller knife? Not so much.

Thanks for re-posting that picture. It comes down to personal taste, but that just looks strange to me. It looks like a photograph was laminated onto the handle. I’ve seen pictures of burlap on larger handles that I’ve really liked. Smaller knife? Not so much.
It truly does not look like you are describing in person. It has a definite 3 dimensional quality and does not look like a photo, or look like too much resin.

The fibers do not stick out, it is smooth.

I only needed one vote for this category. I am rooting for natural materials for this knife, but out of the synthetic options, I think it is burlap by a gunny sack mile.

That burlap micarta is sick, I love the depth. But I'm going to buy the barehead 501 that skblades will be selling soon ... so I'm hoping for something else in the long run even though I voted for it.

That photo does it justice. Burlaps are usually smooth, not rough like canvas.

I voted burlap if synthetic wins, and definitely want something with depth and texture. Color like the reds, blues, and greens would be nice. I really do not care for the dark-almost-can't-see-the-fibers burlap micarta that GEC used on the Bullnose last year.

Back