2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

You all will have to make your own call with regard to railroad tie use in a landscape. Creosote is a heavy semi-volatile as I recall and likely does not penetrate the soil zone deeply before being bound up with clay particles. Could be wrong about that. Certainly not a chemical you want finding it's way into vegetables. I would suspect root crops would be the most impacted if impacted at all with a few RR ties around.

Everything is bursting with life right now in Southeast Tennessee. This may seem early, but it is fairly typical of here for late February. Some trees are starting to leaf out and certainly the early flowering shrubs are about to bloom. I suspect I will be doing my first lawn mowing this coming week to even things out and clean up remaining leaves and so forth. The grass (fescue mostly) is growing, but there are a lot of high and low spots at the moment. I hope to have time to start making wild flower runs to the woods in a couple weeks to catch the blood root and trout lily blooming. Pretty much totally missed the spring wildflower time last year due to being busy with work.

I keep a small pile of top soil that mostly has come from when I planted trees and so forth (ie place I dump the wheel barrow). I use it periodically when a spot needs a little dirt.

Taldesta, what is that yellow wheel thingie at the edge of your bed in your pictures from your last post? I am not much into real formal yard art. It simply doesn't "fit my yard scape".

That is a an old metal wheel attached to a single tiller blade that I found on the property ... and painted bright yellow (rustoleum) to stop the rust as I did with my parents' mailbox from the early '70's - the thought was to brighten up the shady side of that garden. Exposure to the sun went from one extreme to the other in that spot because of the proximity of the woods along the laneway. On one side of the garden (by mailbox) fibrous begonias thrived in the shade and sun-loving petunias and salvia thrived on top and south side. The maple sapling will change all that. It was planted to ensure future shady parking near the house.

The power just came on here following an outage caused by freezing rain. Yet it is above freezing now with the sunshine. Pinch. It is February! Winter is far from done here ... but it is great to hear spring is happening there. Good luck on catching those wild flowers this year. Photography has taught me so much about time urgency ... for the light, for the capture, for the season ... :thumbsup:

2v0xxg6.jpg

2a9qtcy.jpg

We've had late season snow the past couple weeks, and everyone's worried about how their bulbs are going to do since they had already started coming up. Mine seem to be doing OK; Crocus and Hyacinth blooming away. Today it wasn't raining, and I took the time to get the first major project of this year done. I put the blocks down in October, but finally got around to doing the planting. This nandinia is supposed to grow to 3" and I hope it will make a hedge along the base of the deck. Then I got out the early fertilizer and moss killer and got the back yard done. Had a couple other plans, but it's raining again...
99kVoAX.jpg

BhPdTjl.jpg

Signs of spring. On February 28th, I heard the call of a Canada Goose and, sure enough, a loner was flying low over the river, which is fully open. March 1st, a mourning dove cooed from overhead ... and joined the jays scrounging on a bare patch under the bird feeder here by the house.

DSCF9315 MOURNING DOVE BLUE JAY 600 MED.jpg

Geraniums (15 containers x 3 or 4 plants each) are responding enthusiastically to having sunshine, water and food ... liking the dirt very well indeed! So much so that I have taken 18 cuttings from the original plants to encourage them to leaf out on the lower branches. All blooms are cut for the vase to direct most of the food to the plant growth as well. Here I'll comment on the use of potting up in water tight 'bags' - pots would be better to ensure that the roots are not disturbed when the plants are turned 1/4 every day in the south-facing windows. But the bags do compact into smaller space which is critical here.

DSCF9263 PLANTS SOUTH WINDOWS 600 MED.jpg

Cuttings are set in vermiculite which holds them upright in water - 18 plantings - hoping for a fair success rate. These I will keep for myself. I couldn't resist starting some seeds although space is so tight. Thunbergia, nasturtiums, milkweed, basil and others.

DSCF9293 GERANIUM CUTTINGS AND SEEDS 600 MED.jpg

Spring may be close, but I am not holding my breath. Just yesterday I was shocked to see a first for me here on the river - a white swan. Clearly domesticated and seeking food from me when I stopped to have a better look. Tags on both wings.

0303180946-00 SWAN 600 MED.jpg

10 begonia corms are potted up. If you sense that I have run out of space, you are dead on ... I have been considering what they call the three sided greenhouse (lean-to against house) or some temporary cold frames to set up as soon as possible. The ideal would be a strong, heated proper greenhouse of course - maybe next year

On the bee balm front, since my collected seeds have not surfaced following the move here, I have put out a request to the local horticulture society for native bee balm. I offered that I would collect the seed heads myself on snowshoes. To hedge my bet, I have ordered a huge quantity of bee balm seeds called Panorama. I wanted pure red, but the lower field of mixed bee balm should be quite a site as well. Research indicates may not bloom first year. If this place does not light up with colour this summer, it won't be for lack of trying :D

Last edited:
Looks like you're getting into spring. The swan is cool; we never see those out here. I'm close to a small bay that gets a lot of waterfowl, including the rare Harlequin ducks. Geese are all over here, and we have a couple big parks nearby, and golf courses, so they can number in the hundreds overhead (especially in the evenings). I hate the smell of geraniums (don't know why, but I just can't stand it), or I'd use some. A neighbor always has dozens out on their deck. I just planted a small spruce in a big planter to cover a open area, and stuck another half a dozen ferns in on a bank where I'm trying to find stuff to fill in. Ferns seem to be taking best of the 4-5 different plants stuck in there so far. The first of my plum blossoms opened this weekend. Since I didn't get the trees trimmed they're going to be a pink explosion in a few days.

We've had late season snow the past couple weeks, and everyone's worried about how their bulbs are going to do since they had already started coming up. Mine seem to be doing OK; Crocus and Hyacinth blooming away. Today it wasn't raining, and I took the time to get the first major project of this year done. I put the blocks down in October, but finally got around to doing the planting. This nandinia is supposed to grow to 3" and I hope it will make a hedge along the base of the deck. Then I got out the early fertilizer and moss killer and got the back yard done. Had a couple other plans, but it's raining again...
99kVoAX.jpg

BhPdTjl.jpg
I really like those landscaping "bricks". I have a bed that was built using them as a border. Things are very neat! Nandina should work although it is not typically a dominant shrub for a bed that you want a certain height. I like my beds to look fairly natural as opposed to flat across the top (squared up), but I have one group of shrubs that I trim that way.

I like geraniums. I guess by the smell you mean when you break a stem. Haven't really noticed any fragrance when they bloom. The reason I like them is they are fairly low maintenance, you have a choice of colors, and they pretty much bloom from frost to frost.

Update as the landscape remains snowbound here ...

I will say that at one point over a week ago, there were great patches of exposed hillsides, when I was so encouraged by the lovely temps that I took my trailblazer saw in hand with me to take a little exra kindling from deadfall in the woods around the house. There is sufficient left of the eight cords of firewood to last. I always gather up the bark shed from seasoned firewood as I stack it, then I keep the bark (thick and paper both) dry and it generally keeps me in kindling for the entire winter ... but with the move last fall, I just didn't gather quite what I need.

So, as the snow and sun are alternately battling over this land ... and right at this moment, it is both - a sun snowshower - the pups are filling their hours with naps and I am up to my elbows in gardening books (depending on the availability of the reading chair). When the temps are warm though, and Daisy's nose leads her astray with all the spring sniffs ... I have to be right on her all the time. I keep a fox-forty right by the door in case her hearing lapses when her nose is doing the thinking. Dez, 12 years, is deaf and her ears are miles beyond the fox-forty ... but she is a pup I've raised and she just does not think of travelling without me.

DSCF9326 DAISY DEZ NAPPING 650 MED.jpg

First, the geraniums in all the south-facing windows have grown to the point where I have to step outside to have a look around. All blossoms are removed to strengthen roots. Yikes

Even the loft window is overfilled. I started them all early as usual but did not account for the effect of the warmth from the woodburner compared to the cold basement used in past. Mental note to be more patient next year, start later.

DSCF9339 GERANIUMS UPSTAIRS 650 MED.jpg

Last spring, knowing I was moving, I started a bunch of caragana seeds (pea shrub type) to take with me. They are from shrubs from seeds from my dad's home province of Saskatchewan (originally a Siberian native plant). Tough, fast growing, spring flowering, beloved by pollinators ... and strong re-seeders. Total 16 plants here.
Tough enough for this property even!

DSCF9335 CARAGANA THREE 650 MED.jpg

Red Hot Cattails (Chenille) plant is thriving in this, its second over-wintering. Repotted recently and now on wheels because of the weight. It is a great plant for indoors too, liking indirect light.

DSCF9337 RED HOT CATTAILS 650 MED.jpg

In one of the gardening books, there was a simple mini-planter design using all cedar 2x4's ... and I had some pine 1 x 6's and 2 x 4's and played about with it. Now this one 2' x 2' x 12" is too large but I think if I made it 2' x 1' I could manage to move it, filled with earth, with a hand truck. With the solid 2 x 4 legs at each corner, these could be 'stacked' alternately (L & R) to make a larger presentation or front to back for a layered look ... still thinking about it and the bottom material which is suggested to be aluminum or galvanized flashing. Final design need not be pretty or overly long lasting in its own right for this property this summer, mostly functional to display a riot of flowers or grow veggies for now. It can be deeper if mobility not an issue.

DSCF9333 PLANTER 2 X 2 650 MED.jpg

Saving newspapers for lasagna treatments as well ... anything but back-breaking sod-busting this year :)

Hey all almost that time of year , I am going to build a couple of raised beds this year . I figure I can fit 2 , 8 x 4 beds in , my only problem is finding the right lumber Cedar boards are pretty expensive around here.

Ive been delegated to build a couple raised bed garden boxes or till one.
Been looking at this page. https://morningchores.com/raised-garden-bed-plans/
Thinking the #35 U-Shape might be what I go with.
Some good ideas all in one place.

Ive been delegated to build a couple raised bed garden boxes or till one.
Been looking at this page. https://morningchores.com/raised-garden-bed-plans/
Thinking the #35 U-Shape might be what I go with.
Some good ideas all in one place.

I've been trying but on dialup I can't quite get to see the u shape raised garden ... but I think I can picture it. Many of the designs that I could see on this site are also in my books here, including several variations of the u shape. Definitely some good ideas all in one place as you say ...

Your preference for a raised garden over tilled is a work-saver in my opinion. It is 'front end' the work and save time (over the precious summer) on the maintenance :thumbsup: Here, a moment in summer is gold.

Hoping you might post some before and after pics if you like :)

I've been trying but on dialup I can't quite get to see the u shape raised garden ... but I think I can picture it. Many of the designs that I could see on this site are also in my books here, including several variations of the u shape. Definitely some good ideas all in one place as you say ...

Your preference for a raised garden over tilled is a work-saver in my opinion. It is 'front end' the work and save time (over the precious summer) on the maintenance :thumbsup: Here, a moment in summer is gold.

Hoping you might post some before and after pics if you like :)
I like the u shaped one , if I had the room .

That U shape would be great for vegetables... sort of a square foot approach. It allows you to get between the plantings without getting into the dirt. Wonder if pressure treated lumber is the way to go or is the treatment toxic? Cedar would be the best choice, but it's expensive.

That U shape would be great for vegetables... sort of a square foot approach. It allows you to get between the plantings without getting into the dirt. Wonder if pressure treated lumber is the way to go or is the treatment toxic? Cedar would be the best choice, but it's expensive.
Not supposed to use pressure treated with vegtables . Gonna use pine and paint the outside.

The disadvantage of being on a south-facing hillside is that the wild things get a headstart on gardening plans. But it is so great to feel the rays and hope and energy that comes with spring!

There are so many birds and squirrels hitting the bird feeders that I added a couple more to accommodate the crowds. Great entertainment in view from the reading chair.

DSCF9342 BIRDFEEDERS AND LANEWAY 650 MED.jpg

I am pushing back at the edges of the tree line where the scrub poplars have been creeping forward. Poles for garden sticks, trellises or next year's kindling. If I want trees on this hill, just on the east side of the house, I will put in evergreens. The entire hill itself is rock with shallow cover so anything I plant will have to be scrappy.

DSCF9343 POPLAR BRUSHING 650 MED.jpg

DSCF9344 THREE POPLAR POLES 650 MED.jpg

In 2006, when I last lived here, cresting this hill there was a beautiful archway where huge honeysuckle and hawthorn stands came together giving a depth to the view over the property and ... gave shade. Gone.

Daisy wants her tomato garden here, on a high flat where the soil is deep. Full sun. OK. I have something for the pole beans to climb ... now I just need to give lots of thought to fencing ... deer ... but mostly Daisy :rolleyes:

DSCF9352 DAISY TRIPOD TRELLIS 650 MED.jpg

Neglected completely over these past years ... my old picnic campfire pit, bench gone too.

Also in need of maintenance, the 'high' and the 'low' rockery gardens with their rusty kitsch/bird perches and concrete and stone birdbaths.

DSCF9355 LOW ROCKERY 650 MED.jpg

DSCF9357 LOWER BIRDBATH 650 MED.jpg

The birdbaths in each rockery, gravity fed via underground hose from rain barrel on hill above - one bath broken and one still intact. Absolute bird and critter magnets. So they will be restored.

Very different from my last year's civilized garden, but I do love my outdoor projects :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Love the challenge of a new house with little landscaping done. I know you have lived here before, but as you said, things change.

Today, we had a hard freeze this morning. Was looking out a window and caught a glimpse of a hummingbird (I assume Ruby Throated) that was just leaving the area where I normally have my hummer feeder. Well... that settled it. Made up some nectar and hung the hummer feeder just in case the little guy is hungry and comes back. I normally don't put my feeder out until about April 1st. Checked the hummingbird migration maps and this appears to be the leading edge of their yearly migration for this date. This is always a great moment in time. Last year, I didn't see a single hummingbird until May.... wasn't a normal year as they normally appear about the first week of April here.

Got my Japanese Maple (variety >Crimson Queen... small one (1/2" (or a tad more) trunk diameter and 3 feet or so tall) to place near where I had the large black cherry cut down last fall. Just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a tree right now. Still expensive considering the size. Will plant in a week or so. Guess I'll watch it grow until I croak and someone else will get to enjoy a nice Japanese Maple.

Mowed my yard for the 4th time this spring today. Weekly activity....

We got a foot of snow Wednesday, so have to be a tad trepidatious. Growing up in Western PA, we generally waited until Memorial Day to put a lot of the veggies in (peas, root veggies and the like went in earlier). A friend of mine does a lot of research every year on the newest and "best" varieties of carrots, tomatoes, peppers, etc in regards to antioxidant amounts, pest resistance, root health, and the like. He has to get several dozen of seed books every winter!

My ultimate goal when I get a place of my own is to dig a nice chunk into a hillside green house.

Last fall I planted about 200 tulip and daffodil bulbs, of which the daffodils are about 6 inches high. I'm eagerly awaiting the first blooms. There were some awesome varieties in there. Let me try and find some names.

Also, I'd like to mention that I thought I wouldn't have to worry about deer where I am in NJ now (they were a HUGE, almost unavoidable issue in Pittsburgh) but just saw a bunch of deer tracks in the snow when filling the bird feeders.

I grew up in Central PA. Love PA. I left when I got out of college; not because I wanted to, but I went where the jobs were at the time. Now I live in TN and quite pleased with the climate, geography, outdoor activities, seasons, gardening opportunities, and so forth. Can't see leaving at this point.

I grew up in Central PA. Love PA. I left when I got out of college; not because I wanted to, but I went where the jobs were at the time. Now I live in TN and quite pleased with the climate, geography, outdoor activities, seasons, gardening opportunities, and so forth. Can't see leaving at this point.

I'm familiar with parts of Central PA. I went to school in State College! Grew up outside of Pittsburgh, have a camp in Armstrong County, and now have been living in the Philadelphia area for the past 4 years.

I'm familiar with parts of Central PA. I went to school in State College! Grew up outside of Pittsburgh, have a camp in Armstrong County, and now have been living in the Philadelphia area for the past 4 years.
State College.... Spring Creek and trout fishing! Yeah! That whole Centre County area is great for trout fishing due to the limestone streams. Still have family in the area.

Back