2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

Wet here today...

dOe9Fd7.jpg

So here are the three current feeders that are getting a workout (not counting two for the hummers). The suet is two styles, one with heavy nuts (supposedly for woodpeckers) and the other a more conventional blend. The loose seed is in the lantern shaped feeder. The jays don't have room to land on the lantern, so it's mostly smaller birds using that. Jays like the conventional suet, and my Flickers and Red-heads like the other stuff. Strangely, some of the smaller birds seem to prefer the woodpecker mix too. I'm thinking some raisins may need to be added, but I'm not sure how to hold them.

If you look close you'll see two of the posts have slinky's on them to try and eliminate the squirrel and other rodents. We have mice and rats, but not too many. We have a number of cats, some feral, who like the fact I have birds and no dog. I get Ravens too, especially one pair, and they keep the crows away. The bowl is a cover from a plastic terrarium. It seems to work.

I've moved one normal type feeder for the hummers in under the eaves for my hot tub gazebo; the steam keeps that area fairly warm and hopefully it won't freeze. I worried the birds wouldn't see or use it, but no worries now, they do. The heated one is very well received, even though it's also closer to the house and under cover.

I'm really glad there's no snow here. I'm working down on the docks for the next two weeks and that's bad enough when cold and wet. Expect I'll spend Christmas with something warm and dry, and the fire rolling, but have to get there first.

Slinky's - never seen that before! Let us know how they work, please. I was in a store on Friday seeking a cover of sorts for my small bird feeder in order to keep out the snow. I had in hand a flexible tray and encountered another couple taking two of the same to make squirrel baffles. It seems the squirrels and the snow are turning our efforts to invention everywhere.

And, I've never seen a flicker at a feeder either - they are very skittish and seem to favour the grubs from the lawns here.

Most dislike the red squirrels but, as long as they do no damage to the house, I find them very entertaining. 8 red, four black and one grey dine here - now that's entertainment :D

North Carolina is getting dumped on pretty good with storm. I love the snow but I hate to be forced to drive in it. I have gotten rather protective of myself. I don't view myself as indestructible any more like a lot of us do as young folks in our teens and 20's. I think that perception hit me at around age 40 with certainty.

The trip went well. A winter storm advisorary was issued for the early evening hours there and we left to return before that time with temps at that point still around 39-40 degrees F. So, no problems. This morning, they are getting weather but nothing like what North Carolina is seeing. So far, all rain in my neck of the woods and a pretty fair amount of it at that. When I see snow, I get the itch to head to the Smoky Mts. But they close all the park roads and don't plow them except around the visitor centers which are on the fringes of things. Yeah, technically you could hike in....

The road into Cades Cove is temporarily closed (probably ice?). It is hard to get in there if it snows at all as the park simply locks the gate. With snow, it's would be a wonderful opportunity to take interesting outdoor woods pictures including whitetail deer.

Yes, the conditions in NC have hit the news here today. Sounds very bad.

Snow makes the dull woods beautiful for pics. I especially like to photograph the snow on the evergreens reflected on the river which is so black and still in the cold before freeze up.

Wet here today...

dOe9Fd7.jpg
That would certainly be a cool way to live year around... boat and water. I wonder how they deal with property lines when a house sits out in the river/water like that? Centerline of stream as property line?

I'm really itching to head to Cades Cove for some wildlife viewing. The deer should be in the rut right now. Snow would make it wonderful as long as you could still drive through it. I have only been there once with snow on the ground. I have tried to go there in the past with about 6 inches or so and the roads are closed. That was back when I had a 4x4.

Nice video! I liked being able to hear as well as see him. Noisy bugger.:)

What? I can't hear you ... there's a buzzing in my ears :eek:

Here's one of the Flickers I have coming regularly.

mTFIU45.jpg

Cold, wet and rainy and looks like that's how we'll enter the new year.

Flicker - the laughing bird that loves the grubs ... long gone from here for over winter but clearly loving the temps and menu around Puget Sound, especially any rain. Nice.

The 'pretty boys' are here in numbers along with the more modestly coloured females. Pics through Busby's window so please bear with them. The two long platform feeders sprinkled every morning with sunflower and mixed seed gives everybody space - squirrels, woodpeckers, nuthatches, grosbeaks ... and they know they have found a soft touch. :rolleyes: The entertainment out the window is far better than I had planned for. Pretty much non-stop, dawn to dark.

Pine Grosbeaks - fairly friendly but skittish in flocks

DSCF3492 PINE GROSBEAK MALES 800 MED.jpg

DSCF3396 PINE GROSBEAK MALE AND FEMALES MOOSE 800 MED.jpg

The evening grosbeak seems to be making a comeback following years of absence it seems. Flocks of 60 or so dining here.

DSCF3097 EVENING GROSBEAK MALES FEMALES 800 MED.jpg

One pileated stopped by for a snack but these guys are very wary.

DSCF3544 PILEATED WOODPECKER SUET 800 MED.jpg

And for the curious, the moose feeder has a name - "Crockett" :D

DSCF2802 DAVEY CROCKETT MOOSE BLACK 800 MED.jpg

I haven't seen the red heads here yet. Unusual as they love my Norwegian spruce judging by the thousands of holes.

I get the feeling that the colour was so worthy of capture ... the morning sun bringing to mind the time proven adage "red sky at night, sailors' delight - red sky in morning, sailors take warning"

Remarkable capture and thanks.

Happy celebrations everyone !

From me and livestock, from Crockett and the hungry hat dweller ... have a merry one :D

DSCF3669 CROCKETT RAT IN HAT SNOW 800 MED.jpg

Winter garden ... frosty stalks of bee balm in the morning sunshine

DSCF3784 BEE BALM SUNSHINE 650 MED.jpg

... and a single with a puff of snow

DSCF3792 BEE BALM SNOW TOPPED 650 MED.jpg

Not to overlook the artful crystal-frosted goldenrod, weeds not so problematic in winter

DSCF3808 GOLDEN ROD ICE CRYSTALS 650 MED.jpg

While I should be on the business end of the snowblower clearing the laneway, I am more inclined to dive into the seed catalogue that just arrived :rolleyes:

Have a great day gardeners ... everyone

Beautiful pictures and creative Taldesta. I would love to get out and tromp around in the snow covered woods.... at least for a while.

I believe you got snow Taldesta on this latest storm. We got rain here. They predicted about 1.5 inches of rain for the rain event; I measured 2.92" on my good rain gauge and 3.2" on my regular gauge on my deck (yellow hardware store variety). So, we got about 3" of new rain. Rain has been the story of the year here.... I have measured over 81" for the year so far as measured on my more detailed (0.01" precision) rain gauge. Normal is about 52.44 inches and a couple inches of snow. Quite a variance over the normal rainfall and we had no hurricane rain events (brushed with the edges of tropical storms) like they had in the Carolina's or Texas.

Long past I used to make quilted camera slings with compartments that accommodated hand warmers to keep batteries and film (remember film?) viable for long outdoor winter excursions. Not so much now. Yet the winter is stunningly beautiful - just harder to capture in comfort. That's ok. It's worth it.

Our sky has been overcast - the sun is a rare and welcome sight. Actually rain did follow my last post resulting in a skating rink yard where I needed cleats to navigate even to feed the birds. Then a severe drop in temps with a dusting of snow that offered enough traction in the lane in order to get the vehicle out and back in just yesterday. This was the first time since the 24th Dec when I could get off the property. Judging traction is an art.

Of course I did dive into the seed catalogue rather than spend a couple of hours on the snowblower before temps rose - and this worsened the lane conditions :rolleyes:

This morning out Busby's window I caught a glimpse of the back of a wing taking off from the ground at the base of the feeder, white mottled with brown, that filled the entire window pane it seemed. An owl I suspect. No flocks of grosbeaks, some few squirrels watching the sky and a few chickadees that hit and run - all at the feeder are wary now. Busby saw it, but has settled down.

Snowing right now. I must split some prime kindling to prep for the brrr minus temps of Jan and Feb. Absolutely loving the radiant woodburner over oil heating, especially being so well prepared with wood and kindling this year.

Back