2021 GEC 83 Tascosa Lock Back

TheJon

Gold Member
I don't think I've seen anything about this yet, GEC has a jigged bone and a micarta 83 listed under their production schedule. Kinda surprising, I feel like these were done not that long ago. Either way I'm excited. Anyone want to take bets on the colors?

Everything mentioned so far would please me to no end. A couple of other options that I'd be more than happy to see would be Crandall jigged Goldenrod, Winterbottom jigged Spring Green or Elderberry micarta.

If I got the opportunity to cherry pick a specific pair of covers, it would be stag with a mossy green hue. But back here in the real world, I'm just happy they're running the 83 again and hope to get lucky and score one of anything!

Anyone have experience with the previous 83s with any blade wobble? The only lockback GEC I have is a 99 and it has a little bit of movement.

Anyone have experience with the previous 83s with any blade wobble? The only lockback GEC I have is a 99 and it has a little bit of movement.

My example (actually my 7yo's) does have some play in both directions.

Very light spring as well. Figure that's not bad for a little guy.

My example (actually my 7yo's) does have some play in both directions.

Very light spring as well. Figure that's not bad for a little guy.

Thanks, I wonder why theres more likely to be wobble on a lockback? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

I'll take the safe bet and say autumn gold jigged bone and... red linen micarta. I would like to see them reuse the green jigged bone from the urban jack.
I am not a fan of the spring green. I’ve had the urban jack and a 77 CK Barlow, but just couldn’t get used to that shade of green

Thanks, I wonder why theres more likely to be wobble on a lockback? I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
I have found the same with their liner locks. My calf pen has some blade wobble, but I still love it

I'm hoping for a nice burnt orange burlap micarta, like they used to use on the Northwoods.
I don’t have a strong want for the 83’s, but burlap micarta could change that opinion. Although I like the burlap more on the new 74 vs the NW Delta Jack that I have

I have found the same with their liner locks. My calf pen has some blade wobble, but I still love it
That’s interesting I have 2 calf pens and they both lock tight. My 23’s lock up tight as well could be a hit an miss. A little wobble doesn’t bother me though. So long as it isn’t crazy. I had a lockback 99 that had a fair amount of play. Definitely noticeable but wasn’t a deal breaker.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will jump in, but from what I understand generally they're just harder to get just right, you have to get the surfaces to match up perfectly, with a slipjoint having more or less tension, just changes how stiff it is, whereas on a lockback the tension is less important compared to having the correct angles.

I don’t have a strong want for the 83’s, but burlap micarta could change that opinion. Although I like the burlap more on the new 74 vs the NW Delta Jack that I have

I haven't handled only of the burlap 74s, but I imagine they've only improved.

The 83 I have has a better lockup than my 72s. That's all I have to compare it to. Very minor blade play when the lock is engaged.

I am beyond excited for this run. I was lucky to score an ebony 83 last year and it quickly became a favorite.

Stag is on the production schedule but I'm gunning for the other two. I'm hoping for a black linen micarta or something else dark'ish.

The 83 I have has a better lockup than my 72s. That's all I have to compare it to. Very minor blade play when the lock is engaged.

I am beyond excited for this run. I was lucky to score an ebony 83 last year and it quickly became a favorite.

Stag is on the production schedule but I'm gunning for the other two. I'm hoping for a black linen micarta or something else dark'ish.

Stag? I must have missed that, stag is really hit or miss for me. Now that I think about it I'm thinking we'll see a blue micarta, have they done that recently?

I'm excited for the 83. I have one now, in jigged bone. I like the easy spring and lock. Stag would be great, but it sounds like there will be a shortage on those. I'll be happy with any covers.

I really enjoyed the two Tuscosa knives I had.
They were the perfect watch pocket size and shape.
The little clip blade was so very handy for daily chores.
The over-all package was really pretty and very well-made.
But in the end, I just didn't really care for a lockback on such a small knife.

I really enjoyed the two Tuscosa knives I had.
They were the perfect watch pocket size and shape.
The little clip blade was so very handy for daily chores.
The over-all package was really pretty and very well-made.
But in the end, I just didn't really care for a lockback on such a small knife.

That’s what I’m kind of worried about. I had a Buck 055 that had nice ebony covers but the lock back just didn’t do it for me. I may try to reserve one anyway, but it would be nice to know the type of Micarta and jigged bone before I have to make a decision. Based upon recent history that won’t be the case.

Back