20cv in the gso 5/5.1 and 6 models

Since we all are fans of 3v on the medium and larger GSO's for good reason I wanted to know if anyone actually has had any performance issues with the medium sized knives in 20cv. I have read a lot of armchair expert input but I mean real world use. I have not broken my new 5.1 in stainless in yet, but I used to have a Fallkniven s-1 in laminated vg-10 and never had any issues with it chipping out while processing wood and would think the steel in the GSO is better.
Any pics and what happened to cause any issues would be helpful, thanks.

Yeah I don't get out into the woods as much as I would like to, but most threads I read from my chair reviewing anything always seem to repeat certain buzz words.
I.E. Read a review about a Ruger gp100 revolver, the phrase 'built like a tank' will be in there somewhere for sure. Love my Ruger's BTW.

Haha. I get what you're saying. However, most of the guys here are pretty clear about the kind of punishment they've put their knives through. I'm pretty new to the knife world myself.

I can't contribute, I don't have the 20CV version, but I am subscribing for the possibility of real-world information :thumbup:

I have seen the pics of the 5.1 after chopping I believe a nail and then how the edge was restored on here and heard about a little edge rolling on a very early convex ground 5.1 that had a thinner blade edge profile and that is about it. For all the perks of a solid piece of 20cv when it comes to food prep, slicing edge retention and rust resistance I would think it should be pretty popular stuff. Never a mention anywhere about the edge chipping while processing wood, that's what I am curious about.

Since we all are fans of 3v on the medium and larger GSO's for good reason I wanted to know if anyone actually has had any performance issues with the medium sized knives in 20cv. I have read a lot of armchair expert input but I mean real world use. I have not broken my new 5.1 in stainless in yet, but I used to have a Fallkniven s-1 in laminated vg-10 and never had any issues with it chipping out while processing wood and would think the steel in the GSO is better.
Any pics and what happened to cause any issues would be helpful, thanks.

In the time we've been doing this we have only ever encountered one fully broken blade (by a customer at least, Guy purposely tries to break them). It was a GSO-4.1 in M390. The guy had been batoning pretty aggressively and it broke at the skeletonizing. Looking at the knife it looks like it was just dumb luck that there was a pocket of one material right in that spot. With the CPM process that shouldn't be an issue, since the components are distributed more evenly. Guy also decided to make most of the knives full tang now (only the GSO-2.7 and Necker II have skeletonizing).

We did tweak the new production heat treat for the CPM-20CV as well. It wasn't as crazy as the CPM-3V changes, but it should still perform a bit better than the old spec CPM-20CV knives.

Thanks Ellie for the input, always appreciated and I figured the 20cv in a medium sized knife was a great option or you folks would not be offering it.

Same here! I do hope to have a 20cv 4.7 to compare to my incoming 3v version someday.

AMEN Silver!!! I'm waiting on the chance to get a 4.7. I think it will be the perfect size I'm looking for. 20CV will be awesome but if I could get one in M390, the world may stop turning for just a moment.

AMEN Silver!!! I'm waiting on the chance to get a 4.7. I think it will be the perfect size I'm looking for. 20CV will be awesome but if I could get one in M390, the world may stop turning for just a moment.

Ha! Great minds ;)

What is it about m390 that makes you love it so much? I have no personal experience, but keep reading that 20cv is "the same steel, but made in America".

Ha! Great minds ;)

What is it about m390 that makes you love it so much? I have no personal experience, but keep reading that 20cv is "the same steel, but made in America".

My ? too, 20cv is just the cpm version of 390! Me I'll take the American made version everytime:)

I have a 5.1 in 3V and 20cv. I have had ZERO time to use either. Work + 3 youngins is kickin my ass and eating up all my time. I neger know when that cell phone is gonna ring and I have to drop everything and run! March 26 is opening day of trout in MD. I am definitely going sonthat will generate some real world use that I can document and post.

I have not thrashed my 3.5 but its done light batoning, feather sticks and a boat load of food prep and only ever need a few passes on the strop

I've got my 5.1 in 20CV. That was all I could grab in the pre-sale. I'm still trying to capture a 3V 5.1 in the Monday sales.

Bottom line, I intend to use my 20CV like I use all my knives. They can end up doing anything from batonning through oak to gutting, skinning, and processing a deer. My 5.1 has done none of those, though, because I'm stuck out here in Seattle on det, and have barely had opportunity to do a day hike, let alone any serious hiking or camping. I hope I'll get to before I leave.

As far as 20CV vs. 3V vs. M390... if 20CV truly matches the edge-holding of M390, I will be overjoyed. I've got a M390 Griptilian, and that thing holds an edge like nothing I've ever seen. ATS-34, VG-10, 154CM, SR-101, A2, D2, M2, M4; all of them pale in comparison to the edge-holding of M390. So, I expect great things from 20CV.

...The guy had been batoning pretty aggressively and it broke at the skeletonizing. Looking at the knife it looks like it was just dumb luck that there was a pocket of one material right in that spot. With the CPM process that shouldn't be an issue, since the components are distributed more evenly. Guy also decided to make most of the knives full tang now (only the GSO-2.7 and Necker II have skeletonizing).
Thanks Ellie. Is this correct: skeletonized (1st pic), full tang (2nd pic)?

jMrdEtM.png

6pmPlrP.png

Thanks Ellie. Is this correct: skeletonized (1st pic), full tang (2nd pic)?

jMrdEtM.png

6pmPlrP.png

Yep! The top picture is 3 of our old spec GSO-4.1s, which were all skeletonized. That is the model that had the failure. The bottom picture is our new spec GSO-5.11, but the GSO-4.1s will also be full tang, like those.

I admit I was nervous about my 5.1 in 20CV, especially with an edge as thin as the '5.1 has. After using my GSO 5.1 in 20CV for several weeks, I have found my concern to be mis-placed. I've done everything with my GSO 5.1 that I would ever do with a knife, including slicing cardboard, carving wood, batoning wood for a fire, some light chopping to de-branch firewood, and quite a bit of food preparation. It stays sharp for a crazy long time, and I have yet to get a single chip or roll in the edge.

The GSO 5.1 in 20CV is the answer to the question "If you were on an island and could only bring one knife...", just so long as I could bring a diamond sharpener. After what I've done to mine, I'm sure it could survive anything short of total stupidity.

Survive! 20CV is impressive stuff, and has earned my respect.

That's what I was wanting to hear, thanks MatthewSB.
Never really doubted the capabilities of this steel, but real use is the best test.

Ha! Great minds ;)

I've had both and although they are technically the same steel, the M390 just seems to hold an edge longer. Don't get me wrong, I'm a 20CV fan but given a choice, I'd take M390 first.

My top 5 steels are:

1. M390
2. CPM-20CV
3. 3V
4. Elmax
5. ESEE's version of 1095

Back