21" Chitlangi and Mauser

Well, the last of the Birthday money is gone.
What did I get?
A surplus M48A Yugo 8mm Mauser, a 21" Chitlangi, and a 18" GS.

The 21" Bura "10-10" Chitlangi is freaking amaizing. No flaws, checkered handle and bolster, few itty bitty hammer marks in the blade, and very very little red stuff in the dense yet almost burl handle.

Woodchucks; I have 2 questions.

1. What do I do with a handle that I am so astonished by I am intimidated to touch it? I guess Wal's Armorall & Gunstock finish?

2. Also, how the heyll do I get all the freaking Cosmo out of the M48 stock? Still in the process of cleaning it up and I am curious if it is possible.

I think "purple power" is one of the the cleaners many of the C&R folks are using on the surplus mausers. I use liquid dishsoap and hot water. If that doesn't work, Brownells sells a paste that leaches the stuff outa wood.

Two places to look for FAQ's are Parallax Curio and relic forum:
http://pub42.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34
Check out the Parallax method of stock cleaning thread.

There was also a thread over at hoods woods:
http://pub1.ezboard.com/fhoodlumsweaponsprimitiveandmodern
scroll down the page til you see the thread titled "Cosmoline - how to remove it".

No need to thank me ... what's that? You insist on my having the Chitlangi? Oh, alright if you insist :)

Seriously, all good purchases. Congrats.

Pat

The "Rifleman" had a column some time back where a paste was put on the stock and left to roast in the sun. As I recall, heating it up really did the trick.

One thing I would be careful about - I would not use oven cleaner on a stock, at least to let sit for more than a couple minutes. I've seen heavily soaked stocks cleaned by that method, and something sure turned them into the next thing to an open celled sponge in texture. It took some cosmo off but left holes and crumbly wood. I'd as soon dip the barreled action into muriatic/hydrocloric acid to clean it.

Originally posted by Rusty
The "Rifleman" had a column some time back where a paste was put on the stock and left to roast in the sun. As I recall, heating it up really did the trick.

One thing I would be careful about - I would not use oven cleaner on a stock, at least to let sit for more than a couple minutes. I've seen heavily soaked stocks cleaned by that method, and something sure turned them into the next thing to an open celled sponge in texture. It took some cosmo off but left holes and crumbly wood.

I'd as soon dip the barreled action into muriatic/hydrocloric acid to clean it.

Did I tell y'all about my son doing this very thing when he was a Platoon Seargent down at Camp Shelby?
Yep!!!! And what's worse is he left them over night. I don't recall just how many m-16's it was that was done this way, but the oven cleaner stripped every bit of the military finish right off.
Had he of not had a Master Seargent that really liked him he would have faced a court martial as well as for paying to get the rifles refinished!!!!!!!:eek:
As it was the damage was turned in as a scheduled maintenance, done quickly and quietly and no one ever the wiser.
My son did it to try and get the rifles as clean as one of his bud's who later told him not to leave it on for over 5 minutes.
Seems like my son was always getting gigged on dirty weapons, he wasn't ever that neat when living at home either.;)

I don't have any idea of what it would do, but if it was me I would try some of the Ballistol-Lube I have.
If it will clean the black powder residue outta black powder guns then it should cut the cosmoline wouldn't you think?
It's not all that expensive IIRC and doesn't take long to get it either.
In the meantime I think I would soak it in the Murphy's Oil Soap straight.......
That shouldn't hurt it even overnight.:)

Dave what did you pay for the mauser? I plan on ordering a few rifles soon ,I have to try the new license out.
Terry

I've cleaned up 3 really grimy Turk M-38's in the last year, and all I used on any of them was plain rubbing alcohol and a green Scotchbrite pad. Put some alcohol on the pad, srub the stock, repeat for a few hours. Your hands will be covered in black gunk, but the stocks will as clean as you could ever want them. Granted, this is the method for those who have more time than money, but on the plus side it doesn't do anything nasty to the wood; doesn't even raise the grain very much. After cleaning, I just did a light sanding and then refinished them.

BTTT,
and a new tidbit for those with grungy old rifles -

the homebrew version of Foulout cleaner
http://www.storm.ca/~debin666/html/projects9.html

and some additional changes
http://pub42.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm54.showMessage?topicID=508.topic

I made one of these in about 15 minutes, and I plan to try it out after I get back from vacation. The most expensive part is the amonia and the alligator clips (which could really be optional). Dave and Terry (and anyone else who's interested), feel free to email me offline if you want to talk C&R!

Pat

email me off the forums . I' don't want to take up too much of Bill's khukuri space :)

Pat

I'm stuck with my antique .38. Been married to it since 1958.

Uncle,
My Mauser was supposedly manufactured in the late 40's- early 50's. All I know is that they sure dont make'em like they used to.:)

A Peoria cop carried my antique .38 for 30 years or so before I bought it from him in 1958 when he retired. One notch on the handle in 30 years of service in what used to be a pretty tough town -- backyard playground for Cicero gangsters.

Peoria sure isn't what it used to be. No more mob, but street gangs and drugs instead. I dunno which is worse...

Hmmm. I used to work for the company that is (or was) the planner for Peoria county, and the city too, as I recall. Quite a coincidence, eh?

Pat

Back