22 Ammo

You can buy shotgun ammunition very easily here, also 30-06, .270, and other hunting calibers are still on the shelves. You can actually find self defense grade pistol ammo, but none of the cheaper stuff, somethings gotta give in the near future, people around here aren't going to keep throwing money at ammo hoarding. I'm a hypocrite though with my small cache of 22 ammo, and other ammo, I have no right to call anyone an ammo hoarder, I wish I had a hoard of ammo LOL. Still shooting, but not as avidly, seeing as I'm starting to put a dent in my ammo, but I can't resist some days.

I remember going in to a True Value one day not long after the run began. I had been searching high and low, on the internet and in B&M stores, for .22 and .308. Lo and behold, this store had about 500 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet, and 100 rounds of Remington Core Lokt .308. I called the guy over to the case to get it out for me, he asked: "How much you want". I said, all of it. He looked at me funny, until I told him I just found the last 500 rounds of .22LR in the city. I haven't seen any since. That was 5 months ago.

You can buy shotgun ammunition very easily here, also 30-06, .270, and other hunting calibers are still on the shelves. You can actually find self defense grade pistol ammo, but none of the cheaper stuff, somethings gotta give in the near future, people around here aren't going to keep throwing money at ammo hoarding. I'm a hypocrite though with my small cache of 22 ammo, and other ammo, I have no right to call anyone an ammo hoarder, I wish I had a hoard of ammo LOL. Still shooting, but not as avidly, seeing as I'm starting to put a dent in my ammo, but I can't resist some days.

It's funny how not having the 22 ammo on the store shelf makes me want to go out and shoot the 22. Oh well, I'll shoot a couple of clips a year to stay in practice and call it good.

I've just stopped shooting much 22LR ammo the last couple of months even though I have plenty and there is little risk of using up my on hand supply. Been out a couple of times shooting, but probably only shoot 100-150 rounds of 22LR per outing. This shortage just makes me want to hold onto it. My impression is that the shortage is slowly ending now.

I've just stopped shooting much 22LR ammo the last couple of months even though I have plenty and there is little risk of using up my on hand supply. Been out a couple of times shooting, but probably only shoot 100-150 rounds of 22LR per outing. This shortage just makes me want to hold onto it. My impression is that the shortage is slowly ending now.

There is no end, just the new normal.

The ammunition manufacturers believe otherwise. They are running extra shifts and increasing capacity as they can without adding new machinery and new factories because they believe that the run on ammunition will be shortlived. They are selling everything they can produce right now, but do not expect it to continue.

The ammunition manufacturers believe otherwise. They are running extra shifts and increasing capacity as they can without adding new machinery and new factories because they believe that the run on ammunition will be shortlived. They are selling everything they can produce right now, but do not expect it to continue.

You think people are going to stop buying ammo? After this? It may slow, and inventory may pick up, but gun shops have already realized that people will pay $.70/round for .223 and $80/brick for crap .22lr, prices will level out a bit. Wal Mart will still have normal prices, if you get there at 0630 on a Monday morning with an hour or two to kill.

Maybe you are correct and all of the ammunition manufacturers are wrong. However, I believe they know their market trends and plan their business expansions accordingly. As for price increases, some is natural. But some is either gouging on the part of retailers and distributors or due to the fact that they are buying their supplies from wherever they can find them on the secondary market.

I do not mean to make this political but I think the shortage is an excellent example of how the consumable resource can have the effect of making the tool undesirable to use. I ma NOT saying Big Brother has anythign to do with this, just noticing the cause and affct and hoping it is all short term.

Whether it is by rising cost due to taxes or shortage of supply. Being able to get ammo puts a hurting on our hobby and makes it alot less fun!

I look on my shelf and see 2 bricks of .22 and I will leave the rifle at home on the weekend or at least limit my shooting.

Still hard to get here.

As with cars when gas creeps over 4.00 per gallon, in the short term we try to drive less. In the long term, we get rid of the guzzlers and get cars with better mileage.

Bill

Maybe you are correct and all of the ammunition manufacturers are wrong. However, I believe they know their market trends and plan their business expansions accordingly. As for price increases, some is natural. But some is either gouging on the part of retailers and distributors or due to the fact that they are buying their supplies from wherever they can find them on the secondary market.

Time will tell, I hope you're correct, though I fear I am.

Reminds me of lumber prices just after hurricane Andrew. Georgia Pacific boosted prices on plywood that never returned to previous levels after the shortage. Only time will tell though.

Bill

P1020955.jpg

Here's how you use your old BPA Nalgenes:

P1040297.jpg

P1040382.jpg

What are spent 22 shells, tweezers and magnifying glasses going for these days. :D

This. If it actually comes to the market needing more production (which there's no reason to believe), then producers will be happy to comply. This is just people going a little crazy on stocking up. If .22lr prices stayed artificially high, manufacturers have to know that they would lose a huge market share to the air gun industry. A tin of 500 good .22 pellets can still be had for the price of a burger.

That said, I'll be keeping my .22lr stock put up as squirrel season starts back up this week and going with air as who knows when people are gonna settle down. If it gets too bad, my Red Ryder can still serve plinking duty at $20 for 24,000 shots.

Later on this year, folks will be trying to decide if they want to stock up on ammunition based on the ammo shortage. I think the end result is that people will infact store more ammo for the time being, but if supplies are good, it will be back to people's regular normal whatever that is; 5K, 10K, 20K or a brick 22 rounds on hand. Things are on the improve now.

Or like the people who lived through the not so Great Depression of the 1930's, spending the rest of their lives stockpiled with things they remember being hard to get or not able to get in hard times.
Losing faith in others to supply them with what they need or want and taking their power back by depending on themselves. To a shooter, this to like 6 months without toilet paper on the store shelves. After living through this experience, they could repeat the lives of the lost generation.

I shoot a Ruger 22/45 as my woods carry/plinking pistol, and a Henry H001T as my rifle. I love that lever gun, because I can shoot shorts, longs, or long rifles out of it.

I took stock of my 22 ammo here a few days ago. I think I have about 600 of bulk and 300 of target/hunting rounds.

I also have a Marlin .22 mag, which is great. Long rifle used to be so cheap, it was pointless to shoot the mag. Now, it's cheaper to shoot the mag. I need to pick up more mag rounds. They are still plentiful and not marked way up around here.

On a semi-related note, I work part time at a local pawn shop. I work the back room and the gun counter. We can't clean out the stock completely, but we can hold a couple boxes back at a decent price for ourselves. We are supposedly getting a shipment of 22lr in next week. We have a BUNCH of CCI CB shorts and CB longs. 700 fps, might be fun to play with.

Ammo is still difficult to find for a fair price but Gander Mtn did have Ruger 10/22s on the shelf yesterday at normal prices. The salesman told me they were holding 22 ammo in the back for people who bought guns. The local Walmart now limits bulk 22 to one per person per day. This should reduce the ammo bought up up by smaller shops then marked up 400%.

fishiker,
I don't make special trips to wally looking for it, but I have not seen a box of .22lr since the first of the year. My timing must suck ;)
I know a local Xerox engineer that has loaded up and is using ammo as gifts to friends and family that shoot. My birthday is in August but I am not sure I count.
I have not worried for a shortage of rimfire ammo since I was 13yr old.

Bill

Back