23 inch curved blade - sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm posting my question in the correct place. I will appreciate any guidance that can be offered. I have just received a sword/saber from my mother. 23 inch slightly curved steel blade with a scabbard. Near the handle is stamped 65 with a line underneath. The scabbard is stamped 08 or is it 80. Near the numbers is a small crest about the size of a dime. The crest is oval with a wreath around it - looks like two wings on top. Inside the crest is a globe, a crescent moon, and possibly a flower or sunburst.
Any chance of any of your experts identifying this more me? It looks quite old but I really have no idea. Thank you for considering my request.

Welcome to the forums. We are going to need some photos to identify it.

n2s

Thanks so much. I will get images and post them. Any assistance will be helpful.

I'm wondering if that sword might be Imperial Japanese. That "sunburst" could actually be a chrysanthemum, and they did have some western-looking sabers at one time.

Thank you so much for helping with this task. I will have images posted tomorrow. It appears as if I have found the correct site to get the assistance needed to id this item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back