25" 2 lb sirupati; a sidetracked review

So there’s an antiques dealer in a nearby town, and buried deep in the junk at the back of his store are these three khukuris. One is obviously a tourist piece. One is BAS size and shape, but with an aluminum handle. The third is about 19" OAL, small handle, forward curving blade, ugly & tatty but, far as I could tell without running a file down the edge, a genuine old village khukuri

Trouble with being broke is, you can’t pay cash... So I go home, find a boring old British officer’s sword I never liked much anyway, go back to the antiques place, and do a trade, the sword for the “BAS” and the nineteen-incher.

Get home, test with file. The “BAS”, which I’d been sure was a genuine piece, turns out to be soft as butter. The 19" doesn’t look promising; I’d already noticed that the edge was rolled over about 3" hiltwards of the center of percussion. But a few taps with a crowned hammer over the anvil bick straighten it out just fine, and the file tells an encouraging story - front and back ends of the blade aren’t anything special, but the CoP is beautifully hard.

At this point, enter My Very Good Friend The Mailman; and he’s got with him my eagerly-anticipated HI 25" 2lb sirupati.

The 2 old rattlers, which would normally be the high spot of my day, are forgotten. Out of the box comes - Well, got to admit, my first instinct was to send it back. NOT because it wasn’t good enough; quite the reverse. The 25" is quite obviously a sword, a weapon; you just have to draw it and feel the balance to know this. As such, it’s wasted on me. A weapon of this quality should belong to a skilled martial arts practitioner, not a guy who chops down trees.

Vital statistics -

OAL 25"; blade 19"
Weight; a mere 1lb 15oz
Spine thickness; at bolster 0.375"; at bend 0.325"; at tip, just before point taper, 0.225"
Width; at bolster 1.450"; at bend 1.725"; at center of percussion 1.750"
Edge bevel width 0.625" constant from bolster to tip; max thickness of edge bevel ie at top 0.175" (area between top of bevel & spine is lightly fullered)
Center of percussion centers at 4 3/4" from tip
Point of balance; smack on at the bend. Perfect.

Firstl impressions -

*Blade* is mirror finished, straight on spine & edge; lengthways distal taper is constant & well executed. Grind quality is poor - look down the blade and you can see waves & wibbles.

*Edge* is pretty darned hard, according to my pet file, and *thin* (see above, under bolster width/thickness) Grind is flat rather than the usual cannel/teardrop. Pretty sharp straight out of the box.

*Handle* is 6" long - perfect length, IMHO, for my little girly hands - and way too thick. Finish is a dull brick red, no grain or figure visible.

*Details*; scabbard well made and a good fit, not too loose, not too tight. Best karda I’ve ever owned - hard, sharp, fine shape, decent size. Chakma softer than the blade, therefore useless.

Step One; take rasps, files and sandpaper, and slim up the handle so I can get my hand around it. In doing so, find a beautiful piece of figured timber under a deep coat of ugly red stain. Cannot understand why anybody would stain up high quality figured hardwood to look like cheap tourist-grade rosewood. Applied first coat of Phillips Walnut Oil; only 364 coats to go...

Step Two will involve a lot of cutting stuff up; adjourn, therefore, to the woods. On a whim, take along the 19" old-timer khuk as well, just to see if it’ll still do a job of work despite the formerly rolled edge.

Well, the 25" sirupati is a joy to handle; superb balance, quick, agile, easy on my long-suffering tendons and shoulder. Proceed to chop down a 6" diameter ash tree earmarked for clearance; the sirupati lands precisely where it’s aimed, and sinks in right up to the spine without significant effort. Once tree is felled, inspect that thin edge for signs of roll, twist or chip. No problems, and still every bit as sharp. Proceed to lop off limbs; set aside trunk for splitting into shakes, chop waste up into 10" logs. The khuk is a joy to use, simple as that. Next chore is clearing young holly bushes - there’s a carpet of the pesky things in one spot; they spring up, choke out everything else, reach a certain height, and die. This is machete/billhook work, and the sirupati makes it easy.

And yet...

And yet, I keep getting the feeling that it’s not the right tool for the job; as if there’s a little voice telling me, Hey, I’m a *sword*, why am I chopping up wood? Also, I’m nervous about that thin edge, which was so obviously designed to cut flesh, not lumber. True, it passed the test completely unscathed. But it only takes a lurking stone or a staple buried under the bark...

So; just for the heck of it, I turn to the nineteen-incher. It’s an ugly thing. Spine width starts at 0.325, goes down to 0.300 at the bend, tapers evenly to the point; blade is 2.750 wide at CoP, point of balance just after bend. Weight a featherlight 1lb 3 oz. Steel bolster, whittled wood handle, crude (replacement) aluminum buttcap.

There’s this bit in one of the Indiana Jones films, where Indy has to choose the true Holy Grail out of a whole row of cups. All except one are beautiful pieces of gold & silver; the one exception is a simple pottery beaker. Indy chooses the pottery beaker, saying “This is the cup of a carpenter”.

Yup; and the nineteen-incher is the knife of a poor Himalayan farmer. Rough, plain, meager, and it does the job as though lives depend on it. Any fears I had about the edge holding up to heavy duty felling, lopping, chopping, brush-cutting &c were completely unfounded; I did a hard afternoon’s work, and come evening I checked the edge; still straight, still sharp. As for light and easy to use; it’s a cliche, but it felt like an extension of my arm, so perfect in fit & balance I hardly knew it was there.

So; I think I’ve got a replacement for the 25" Kobra; but it's not the siruptai. The sirupati is a really fine sword, which (since I’m not a martial arts type and have no dragons that need slaying) I’ve cleaned, polished, buffed and put respectfully away. It's a thing of beauty, a magnificent piece of design; I can’t think how it could be improved, as a sword. I’ve only owned it a day and I haven’t really got any use for it, but I wouldn’t want to be parted from it, ever. This one’s a keeper. Just owning such a beautiful thing is justification enough.

But as a tool - well, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, apart from a sense of a racehorse pulling a brewer’s dray. It just had the bad luck to be upstaged by an old-timer with real attitude who’s not ready for retirement while there’s still useful work to be done. Does that sound familiar..?

Thanks, Tom. I've been looking for your post on your new acquisition. If ever you DO change your mind, my home for foundling khuks is always open.

S.

Sorry, Spence. What's that line about "...when they pry my cold, dead hands from around it"..?

I got a 25" Sirupati PGA by Kesar that lingered late enough for me to get it. Mine is about 2lbs 5.1 oz. I'm not sure if I'll ever really "need" this one but I'm glad I bought it.

I was not going to say a thing after such a report as has just been written.Maybe I am just a sentimental old fool, but I sure thought I heard words of respect and love in this report.

I keep thingking every time I look at or handle this style blade The Rai and the Limbu have really got to have it all together, to more or less adopt this style of blade for their own. Light enough to really whistle through the air and heavy enough to do almost any thing asked of it.

Maybe before I started browsing this forum something must has been said about what runs through my mind every time I look at the spine of these wonderful knives. It surely can be a bone crusher.
If used just right Khuks have to be considered deadly no matter which way you swing that blade.
One god hit behind the knee and whoever sure has a problem, broken arm, collar bone slip off an ear on the way back to the ready, and a hip is not that far from the surface of the skin.

I have looked for the perfect knife most of my life and I think HI Khuks come about as close as I am ever going to get. Like Tsimi said "No khuk is a bad choice.";) :D :D

Count me inside the Siru fan base. I find the Sirupati design efficient and graceful - it looks as good as it works.

I can see one 18 incher by our Royal Kami in my little stash sometime (when i've worked up enough energy to jump through the hoops with the Customs Dept.) Maybe I should buy two - one for me and one for the next guy who holds one and decides he cant live without one... :D

Andrew Limsk

I'm betting that whenever you decide you can put up with the red tape and all, and finally get that Sirupati in your warm hand, you won't want to ever let it get very far away from you.:D

Remember my old pay, RayC, the Marine Scout who while on R&R in Hong Kong tried to buy the khukuri off the belt of a Gorkha. He couldn't get it but swore he was going to have a good khukuri. He now owns about 45 HI khukuris.

My first khukuri was a 21 inch Sirupati, and I have not been able to bring myself to use it. The Chitlangi gets regular workouts, but the Sirupati is still pristine.

My opinion isn't worth a thing to other people really, but if that Khuk could talk I bet she would say something like, "Come on Skinner, let's go cut something".

Sort of like a couple of my boomerrangs. Pretty enough to hang on the wall like a picture, but they fly too good to always hang on the wall. I have three that I can't throw close to the house at all, not with 45 to 65 yard range on them.

Some combination, Khuks and Rangs.:D :D :D

Thanks for the comments Tom, I really enjoyed the reading. Your posts are a highlight in one of the best internet knife forums.

-Cliff

Excellent comments,Tom.My 18 inch Sirupati was my first HI and I doubt that anything is going to replace it as my favorite,but I do intend to get the other members of the Sirupati family. Glad you found a replacement for the Kobra.

WoodOwl

When your report gets the Stamp of approval you know you've done it right. As I've said several times, a smith who can write is a valuable asset for any forum.

I enjoyed reading your post also, Tom. The first khukuri to call to me was the 21" Sirupati. I don't know whether or not this has been mentioned recently. A long time ago, it was said here that if you listen, you can hear the khukuri speak to you. One can tell that yours has spoken to you.

Nobody appreciates the skill of the kamis more than a person who has tried his own hand at the forge.

Back