Photos 2G BME!!

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to compare it against. My DTBM is roughly the same size, but has been aggressively reground. The DTBM crushes it in terms of raw penetration now due to this, but I really prefer the BME2 otherwise, due to the comfort and cant of the ergo handle, as well as the the lack of the stylish but painful rear talon.

The BME2 came in a little thinner than advertised, mine is ~.235' vs. .25", but I think with equal geometry it would still out chop the DTBM and maybe other similar-sized but heavier blades due to the very natural hand to blade position created by the ergo handle shape, allowing a more efficient transfer of force (something I feel the BOOM Parang offers as well).
The balance point on the BME2 is perfectly placed, right in the middle of the choil (also perfectly sized, imo). The choked-up grip is super comfortable and the blade feels very neutral and agile for more detailed work.

You can see the emerging wear pattern on the blade coating in the pic above. I've used it for a fair amount of batoning firewood, but most of that is from chopping up smaller-diameter branches up to 2-3" into short sections. I really like it for that role and will generally swap it out for a larger blade for more serious chopping. If/when I decide to reprofile and/or regrind it, it should perform even better as a chopper, but for now I've left it as is because it performs strongly at the tasks I've used it for. The heavy factory edge has come in handy a couple of times when I found myself chopping into the ground and hitting rocks, etc... while removing stumps/roots from an area (aggressively removing honeysuckle from our wooded acreage).

It just strikes me as a really, really good all-around camp knife, made me forget all about maybe trying a Junglas :p. Plus I personally think it's one of the best looking blades to come out of Op2Wks Pt1.

Long overdue, but my BME2 earned her pants and I finally got it done:

2rp9nhc.jpg

1zlyz4k.jpg

15hzg9g.jpg

Shout out to @David Brown for the fantastic work!!

Back