3 1/2"-4 1/2" Kitchen knife... Mora?

The reason I started this search is because I pulled out an old Gerber mini magnum I have from the 80's and loved how it was working in the kitchen... but then I looked it up online on a whim and found its now worth $150+?!?! as a collectible... So I would rather keep it as a safe queen. It does have a smaller handle, but its so comfy.

minimagnum.jpg

I am currently looking for a 3 1/2"-4 1/2" thin blade for the kitchen under $20 (closer to 4 1/2" if possible). I really like my Mora Force (but its too thick at 0.098")and this is a ffg so I think it would be great in the kitchen. I already have a 2.5" so I'm just trying to fill the gap to my 7" chef knife. Both I have currently are Cutco and it looks like the Mora steel is a better steel-price ratio. I was wondering if any of you have a favorite all around thin blade in the kitchen. I like larger handles on the Mora (compared to the tiny ones on the Victorinox) and the sheath is a definite plus as its a way to keep the knife from dulling in the drawer and it is no extra charge.

I pulled this off of Ragweed Forge...

#11402: The Craftline Flex Knife has a flat ground stainless blade about 3 1/2" long and only .047" thick at the base. As the name implies, it has a bit of flex, and would be a good small fishing knife. It would also be handy in the kitchen. $17.25.

11402.jpg

Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
George

I don't find the handle on the Victorinox knife to be too small. I picked up one of their "chicken" knives for about $7.

I hadn't looked at the boning knives. That's a good call, and it's in the running.

Anyone else have any favorites/ideas?

I use my Allround HQ in carbon in the kitchen a lot. Used it to cut up about 5 lbs of pork shoulder and it stayed very sharp throughout. The best part is it's so easy to touch up. Takes all of 30 seconds on the sharpmaker and it's shaving sharp again.

Man, I was gonna order the HighQ allaround in stainless. I thought the ffg on the thinner flex would make it slice easier like the mini magnum though. That just glides through everything being so sharp and thin. Paper thin slices with little pressure on fruit. The HighQ being like 5 or 6 bux less does helps its cause though 8).

Back