3.5 Pre-Order?

zakjak221

Gold Member
Anybody know or have an idea on Pre-Order Times?
Prod Schedule says taking order til Feb 29th... with steel arriving..

I think the 3.5s will take less time than the others (I've got one on order too!) but I still think it'll be 3+ months. I'm not expecting anything till June or July

We will see how long these take. There are a lot of models ahead of the 3.5 in the production cycle.
The 5.1 took seven months from close of ordering. The 4.7 took eight months to get to the same point that knives began shipping.
I am patiently waiting, and I wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea about how long this might take.

We will see how long these take. There are a lot of models ahead of the 3.5 in the production cycle.
The 5.1 took seven months from close of ordering. The 4.7 took eight months to get to the same point that knives began shipping.
I am patiently waiting, and I wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea about how long this might take.

Very true - i'm far from any certainty on my guess

So on a pre order do U pay in full up front or when shipped?

"Pre order" is like a kick-starter campaign - you pay "in full" a discounted price at time of order, knife is shipped when ready months later. It's an investor-initiative, not for the impatient, but it does guarantee you a knife to your specifications, no "luck" in getting in on a monday-sale or finding what you want on the secondary market.

"Pre order" is like a kick-starter campaign - you pay "in full" a discounted price at time of order, knife is shipped when ready months later. It's an investor-initiative, not for the impatient, but it does guarantee you a knife to your specifications, no "luck" in getting in on a monday-sale or finding what you want on the secondary market.
So to get a knife to ur specs,U pay up front,then wait a few months?
Busse only charges a buck to order & balance when shipped....Definitely Better!

So to get a knife to ur specs,U pay up front,then wait a few months?
Busse only charges a buck to order & balance when shipped....Definitely Better!

Busse may be holding on to customers' credit card information in order to charge later. If something goes wrong and those numbers get out, the fine has a lot of zeros in it. We use a third party credit card processor that is very well known. They have all the security protocols in place. They only hold on to the card information for 90 days. It takes at least that long to go from steel cutting to finished knives. We have too many orders, we would have to hire someone whose entire job would be to call every customer to get payment information.

That is one reason we charge up front. The other reason is because the preorders only exist to help us with production. The preorders help give us an idea of how much interest there is for a model, and the funds to make sure we are producing more than enough. The steel for a production run is more expensive than every car I've ever owned. That is only step one in the process.

Busse may be holding on to customers' credit card information in order to charge later. If something goes wrong and those numbers get out, the fine has a lot of zeros in it. We use a third party credit card processor that is very well known. They have all the security protocols in place. They only hold on to the card information for 90 days. It takes at least that long to go from steel cutting to finished knives. We have too many orders, we would have to hire someone whose entire job would be to call every customer to get payment information.

That is one reason we charge up front. The other reason is because the preorders only exist to help us with production. The preorders help give us an idea of how much interest there is for a model, and the funds to make sure we are producing more than enough. The steel for a production run is more expensive than every car I've ever owned. That is only step one in the process.

I know I might be in the minority here, but I prefer paying up-front. I have bought customs and from Busse, and when buying custom I always try and pay up front or do 50/50 but in that case the maker isn't required to worry about thousands of orders. With busse I have to make a spreadsheet that accounts for dates ordered/costs etc so I know what to expect and "try to predict" when it is going to hit my card. With survive, I just order and wait, far more convenient (again this is clearly just my opinion YMMV)

The most satisfied customers seem to be those that trust the maker to do the right thing.
If waiting for a knife to be made is going to make you nervous ordering from Survive! isn't going to make you happy.

I think you're a big part of the majority Redwood22. I suck at balancing my accounts so I prefer paying up front and waiting a bit for the knife to show up.

The most satisfied customers seem to be those that trust the maker to do the right thing.
If waiting for a knife to be made is going to make you nervous ordering from Survive! isn't going to make you happy.

At least we haven't gotten any recent emails accusing us of not being an actual company, but a Nigerian money scam. Those were fun.

Appreciate Your input Ellie...I was thinkin it was to keep a customer committed,which it does also.

I know I might be in the minority here, but I prefer paying up-front. I have bought customs and from Busse, and when buying custom I always try and pay up front or do 50/50 but in that case the maker isn't required to worry about thousands of orders. With busse I have to make a spreadsheet that accounts for dates ordered/costs etc so I know what to expect and "try to predict" when it is going to hit my card. With survive, I just order and wait, far more convenient (again this is clearly just my opinion YMMV)
You know what helps me cope with the wait? The fact that I have several world class knives coming to me that I've almost forgot having paid for. Since the payment was budgeted and paid for months prior, when I receive the knife it will almost feel like a free knife!

At least we haven't gotten any recent emails accusing us of not being an actual company, but a Nigerian money scam. Those were fun.
Wait, I thought Guy really was a Nigerian prince....... he said he'd send me ALL of his sick uncle's wealth and all I need to send is $500 to get the process started..........

These two statements each deserved their own emphasis :thumbup: Quoted for posterity.

Fancier said:

Back