~3" A/O flipper recommendations for my wife.

I got my girl a BM Onslaught Mini. She Loves is!
My wife is looking for a new EDC knife for purse carry. She has a very specific set of likes and isn't that open to trying other things. I have only came up with one knife that fits all the requirements and I need help finding more options for her. The one I've came up with is a Kershaw Leek.

Her requirements
~3 or a little larger
Liner/frame lock
Small/light weight/thin
Low profile handle
Flipper preferred but not required
Easy to deploy, not a super strong detent (my shallot is impossible for her to open)
Preferably removable scales so I can make her some.

As far as the blade length that's really a tricky issue, I'd say strictly 3" but there are some very slim profile 3.5" blades out there, think Caly 3.5 or Benchmade 940/943, something like that would be ok. If I had to give up either A/O or flipper I'd rather stick with the A/O. Also pretty set on lock type, no Axis/CBBL/Piston/similar operation, no back/triad locks.

The Leek is the only knife I've been able to come up with that fits all the requirements but she's not big on the blade shape, other than that its a good option. I showed her the SOG mini Aegis but she doesn't like that (or the Axis) lock or the handle. For reference her favorite knife is her CRKT Ripple frame lock, she has a kershaw Chive on her keys and she sometimes rotates a Sage 1. I think she light actually like the shallot but it's takes so much pressure to deploy, I'm not sure if that's a fault so I don't want to risk getting another one she can't use either.

As for price let's cap it at ~$150 but I'm really hoping to find something to trade for. this is not a trade thread, please no offers

TIA for recommendations.

Did you de-assist your 0770 since you say it doesn't deploy easily or that the detent is too strong?

There was a Kershaw 1660TG10 Limited Edition Random Leek Assisted 3" S30V Plain Tanto Blade, G10 Handles from KnifeCenter which takes care of premium steel, no weak tip and G-10 handle. I'm sure you can find some on the secondary market.

KS1660TG10d.jpg

I should have gotten one of these when they came out...:grumpy:

Of all the assisted knives out there, the only ones I could think of with steel-junkie approved blades would be the less lady-likes ones such as the Blur or the ZT0350, both in S30V.

You'd think someone could make a zillion dollars by making drop-in replacement blades of boutique cutlery steels for knives that are tolerable in other ways, but simply don't make the cut because of the entirely "meh" quality of their materials. Why can't that person be me? :)

Just came to mind that the Fox Anso flipper could also be an awesome option...

Back