3 Day Loadout, Tested and Reviewed

I have finally got my hiking gear together for this summer. I picked up many new items in the past few months, New Tent, Sleeping Bag / Pad, Backpack, Knives, etc. This weekend I got all my gear together for a little testing. So I loaded up my new Kelty Redwing 50 and trekked out to the backyard. All in all I am very pleased with all the gear here and am looking forward to some long weekends in the mountains this year. Here are some brief reviews and a complete gear list for what I’ll be carrying this year.

KELTY REDWING 50
Capacity – 3100 ci / 51 Liter
Weight – 3 lbs 9 ounces
Dimensions – 25x18x14.5 Inches
Material – 420D Polyester Ball Shadow
Suspension – Fixed
Size Purchased - M/L: 17.5" - 21" / 44 - 53 cm

This seems to be a well thought out pack. It carries comfortably with 35 lbs of gear. Side pockets fit a 1 liter Nalgene bottle perfectly. Front slip pocket is convenient for maps and compass. Organizational pockets are ok for flatter items. The Suspension System does not stand up to the comfort of other big name packs, but is quite comfortable considering the price tag. The pack has webbing on the bottom that alternates from 2 inch to 1.5 inch loops, and works great for strapping on a sleeping pad or tent. The daisy chain on the front is one thing I don’t care for, I would prefer some Molle / Pals webbing on this panel. Also there is not hanger for a hydration bladder, this does not matter much to me personally because I am not using a bladder, but I would imagine some who would prefer something to hand their water bladder from. All in all I am very pleased with the Kelty Redwing 50 for a 3 day / 3 season pack.

geartest1.jpg

geartest3.jpg

geartest14.jpg

See what fits in the Kelty Redwing below…

Go-Lite ShangriLa 2 Nest (Net and Floor Only)
Weight -1 lb. 8 ounces
Dimensions – 7’6” x 4’6” / 33.75 sq. feet
Materials – No-See-Um Mesh / Nylon Floor

Combined with 8’x10’ Nylon Tarp, Equinox 56”x90” Terrapin Poncho, 12-Aluminum Tent Stakes and 25’ of paracord, and two hinking poles, I was able to create a great 3 season / 2 person shelter for under $150. All contents listed above easily fits into the stuff sack that comes with Shangrila Nest. 33.75 sq. feet is just enough room for two adults with sleeping bags, or 1 adult + gear. Not much room to move around but considering the whole kit comes in at 4 lbs. it is a reasonable trade off. I think you could expect to see a bit of moisture in a driving rain with this set up as the ends of the shelter are relatively open to the elements. Pack a couple extra garbage bags to close off the ends in a pinch.

geartest4.jpg

geartest5.jpg

geartest6.jpg

geartest7.jpg

ESEE 4P-MB with Pouch and Survival Tin
O.A Length: 9.0"
Cutting Edge length: 4.06"
O.A. Blade Length: 4.5"
Maximum thickness: 3/16"
Blade Width: 1.25"
Weight: 7.4 ounces (knife only)
1095 Steel - 57 Rc.

Manufactured by Rowen this for me is the perfect bush craft knife. Capable of handling most any task in the woods and light enough that you barley notice it is with you. Paired with the Molle back and pouch this adds another level of survival gear that can be worn on your belt comfortably, even when you have a backpack with waist belt on. I have placed ESEE in the same category as Glock in my gear list, meaning if it has their name on it, you can bet your life on it.

eseen.jpg

esee41.jpg

ESEE Izula
O.A Length: 6.25"
Blade Length (end of handle to tip): 2.88"
Cutting Edge Length: 2 5/8"
O.A. Blade Length: 2 3/4"
Maximum Thickness: .156"
Weight: 2 Ounces (Knife Only)
1095 Steel - 57 Rc.
Blade Width: 1.0"

Same fantastic durability and finish as my ESEE 4, but in a smaller package. This is actually my go to knife. After using this knife every weekend for the past 6 months I am extremely happy with the performance. It gets extremely sharp and stays that way for quite some time.

eseeizula.jpg

PUR Hiker Water Filter
I have been using this filter a couple times a year for the past 10 years. It has held up well. I just changed the filter this past year which is almost as expensive as purchasing a new pump all together. I have never had any type of failure with this system but I have always used in cold, fast moving water.

geartest16.jpg

Snow Peak Giga Power Stove and Cup
Stove:
Fuel Type: Canister / Isobutene-propane
Weight: 3.27 oz
Dimensions: 3.6x2x1.8 inches

Cup:
Material: Titanium
Capacity: 21.2 oz
Weight: 2.8 oz

Fuel Canister and Stove fit inside the cup, add a plastic spoon to supplied pouch for a cook set that weighs in just under 2 lbs. I have just started using this set and am pleased thus far. Fuel canisters provide 75 minutes of burn time on this stove and boils water in about 7 minutes. I am very pleased with Snow Peak’s cook set.

First Priority was to get the fire and some coffee going this morning. Starbucks VIA Ready brew turned out pretty good.

geartest15.jpg

Snugpak Sleeper Lite Sleeping Bag
Weight: 3.6 lbs
Materials: Lightweight nylon exterior. Filled with 'Insufil', a siliconized hollowfiber
Pack size: 16 X 8"
Measures: 86"
Comfort temp 32° F, low 18° F

This is a well built sleeping bag. I slept in this bag with Thermarest Scout sleeping pad. The bag met all my expectations. Temperatures pushed down to about 40 degrees and I stayed warm all night. I did have a little trouble with the zippers but I expect this will improve with use. I would not push this bag past 32 degrees.

geartest8.jpg

What Fits in the KELTY REDWING?

3 Day / 2 Night Gear List
Total Weight = 35 Lbs.
(With Food and Water)

geartest1.jpg

geartest10.jpg

geartest11.jpg

geartest13.jpg

geartest9.jpg

Backpack
-Kelty Red Wing 50 (3100 ci)
-Maxpedition Medium Tactile Pocket (Conceal Carry on waist belt)
-Maxpedition Mini Rolly Poly (Nalgene Bottle on waist belt)
-Various Stuff Sacks and Dry Bags

Shelter / Sleeping Gear
-GoLite ShangriLa 2 Nest
-8’x10’ Nylon Tarp
-Snugpak Sleeper Lite Sleeping Bag
-Thermarest Scout Sleeping Pad – Regular
-12 – Aluminum Tent Stakes
-25’ Para Cord

Cooking Gear
-Snow Peak Stove
-Snow Peak Pot / Cup
-2- Fuel Canister
-2-Spoons

Food
-2 –Single Serving Mountain House Meals
-2 – Double Serving Mountain House Meals
-Granola Bars, Beef Jerky, Nuts, etc
-Salt, Pepper, Sweetener

Hydration
-2 – 1 Liter Nalgene Bottles
-1 – 4 Liter Platypus Water Pouch w/spout
-PUR / Katydyn Pro Hiker Water Filter
-Water Purification Tablets
-Powder Gatorade / Starbucks VIA Ready brew Coffee

Hygiene
-Toilet Paper
-Wet Wipes
-Hand Sanitizer
-4 oz. Camp Soap
-MSR Pack Towel – Medium
-Sun Screen
-Chap Stick
-Bug Spray w/Deet

Clothing
-Fleece Jacket
-2 Pair Non Cotton Socks
-2 Boxer
-2 Non Cotton T-Shirt
-Bandanna / Hat
-Mechanix Gloves
-Sun Glasses

Navigation
-Topo Trail Map
-Compass
-Ranger Beads

Tool / Misc. Gear
-ESEE 4P-MB w/ Pouch
*Water Bag / Purification Pills
*Signal Mirror
*Fire Steel
*Survival Info Card
*ESEE AH-1
*2 Fish Hooks
*2 Mini Lures
*4 Sinkers
*30’ 50# Fish Line
*Mini LED Light

-ESEE Izula
-Coleman Camp Saw
-Trowel
-Gerber Plier Tool
-75’ Orange Para Cord
-50’ Black Para Cord
-Cell Phone /Ipod
-LED Flash Light –Extra Battery
-Mini Led Light, Whistle, Ranger Beads (Attached to Pack Strap)
-Glock 23
-Write in Rain Note Pad
-Equinox Poncho

Medical / Emergency Gear
-Adventure Medical .5 Kit + Quick Clot
-SPOT Locator

ESEE Small Pack PSK

Fire:
-ESEE Fire Kit w/ PJ Cotton Ball

Water:
-2 – 5”x7” Heavy duty Zip Top Bag (1 Liter Capacity)
-6 – Aquamira Water Purification Tablets

Shelter:
-Heat Sheet Blanket (Single Person)
-Contractor Grade Trash Bag (Cut Open 72”x54”)

Rescue / Navigation:
-Whistle
-Signal Mirror
-Compass
-ESEE Survival Card Set
-ESEE Navigation Card Set

Tools / Misc:
-TOPS Survival Saw
-Compact Multi-Tool
-2- ESEE AH-1 w/ Fletching & Glue Kit
-3- Large Key Ring
-3- Small Key Ring
-Key Chain Light
-35’ Black 550 Cord (Woven Shoulder Strap)
-6’ Light Bungee Cord
-18’ Heavy Nylon Thread
-Sewing Needle
-24” x 12” Aluminum Foil
-Small Roll Duct Tape
-3 Sheets Rite in Rain Paper
-Black Pen
-Compact Fishing Kit
*6 Hooks (Various Sizes)
*40’ - 50 Lb. Spider Wire Fish Line
*6 Split Pea Sinkers (Various Sizes)
*4 Gummy Bait

First Aid Kit:
-2- Lg. Band Aid
-1-Anitseptic Wipes
-2-Imodium
-2-Motrin
-2- Benadryl
-2- 2x2 Gauze
-1- 3”x3” Gauze
-Tourniquet Band
-Tick Tweezers
-48” Medical Tape

Thanks for looking.....

Looks like alot of nice gear. What does your pack weigh when it is loaded out?

mlrs

Well thought out post, as well as gear. I have the Kelty Red Wing 1500 for my day pack. Great pack. I have gone with Osprey 3800 now for 3-4 days in the woods. Little lighter, and fits my body better (almost 6' tall and 170 LB.) Tall and lanky. ;) Your tent is a fantastic U.L. option. Here in the N.W. climate the only problem is condensation. I use a O.R. Bivy, now for U.L. backpacking. The Gortex just works better in the wet climate we have here. None the less..... all your gear is well thought out, and you will do well with all of it. Have fun this season...... :)

Edited to add:

Instead of that bulky water filter..... get yourself a SteriPen. Lighter, and works very well. never had a problem with it. Where I backpack is pretty "pristine" here in the N.W. but I have used it in waters that are questionable to say the least.

Last edited:
Nice set-up! Looks like you really thought out your gear. I'm really liking the lightness and versatility of your shelter.

Damn it Decklin, your thread really makes me wanna grab all the new gear I bought in the last few weeks/months and go out testing it...

Unfortunately I am sick at home with a bad tendinitis (typist's cramp) and cant do nothing for the next few weeks...

Due to the fact that I am mostly out there in the great outdoors with my girlfriend, we decided to go for a larger cooking system but besides that I got most of the stuff that you've mentioned ;)

Can't wait to finally get the 5/6 pouch for my 4 from Dale, already started getting the stuff together that I will throw inside the Altoids mini PSK :D

For the backpack itself I am using one of my "Deuter" packs, depending on which size is needed(from 28+ to 60+15 litres). Havent had any of those Kelty packs in my hands yet...

The only real thing left to get is a decent water purification system... I've tried the Katadyn Hiker from a friend and really liked it but unfortunaltey the "Pro" version is not available in Germany... Seems like I need to check some US shops soon :p

@ Cascade_mtn's: What I generally dont like on those SteriPen's is that they require pre-filtered water to get rid of all the dirt-particles. Those pump-filters solve that problem in one step and dont require extra batteries that you need to carry with you. But hey, thats the great thing about that stuff: use the system that works for you and you're the most comfortable with :D

@ Cascade_mtn's: What I generally dont like on those SteriPen's is that they require pre-filtered water to get rid of all the dirt-particles. Those pump-filters solve that problem in one step and dont require extra batteries that you need to carry with you. But hey, thats the great thing about that stuff: use the system that works for you and you're the most comfortable with :D

You are 100% right about that. I should have been more clear. I use my Steripen in good, clean, RUNNING water. I always take a pair of panty hose with me to filter if needed, and then use the Steripen. Light, effective, and works very well. I swear I DON'T WEAR THEM. :eek:;)

Should have been more clear....... no pun intended!!!!!

Awesome post, for the zipper try some zipper ease or similar product. In the military we used it alot on stubborn zippers for soft door windows wouldn't zip-up.

Cascade: Thanks for the reccomendation, I might try that if this pump ever breaks down on me. Sure your not wearing the panty hose....

MLRS: Im at 35 lbs including food and water... I could lighten it up a bit, but I am good with the weight.

A TactiCool panty hose? :eek: :D Sorry for the spam, I couldn't resist brother :D

It's OK my friend. I opened my self up to ridicule as seen as I typed the word/s "Panty Hose".

To the OP. I suggest you carry a set. They weigh almost nothing and can be used for several things.

If you need to carry...... stuff (tinder, berries, dirt, local girl scout cookies) they more than make up for what they weigh, or take up in space. They also are incredibly strong for what they are. :thumbup:

It's OK my friend. I opened my self up to ridicule as seen as I typed the word/s "Panty Hose".

To the OP. I suggest you carry a set. They weigh almost nothing and can be used for several things.

If you need to carry...... stuff (tinder, berries, dirt, local girl scout cookies) they more than make up for what they weigh, or take up in space. They also are incredibly strong for what they are. :thumbup:

Multiple Uses, Light Weight, Compact... Sounds pretty good. I have been wrapping a bandanna around the intake on the pump. Panty hose would be an improvement I'm sure.

Cascade: Thanks for the reccomendation, I might try that if this pump ever breaks down on me. Sure your not wearing the panty hose....

It probably won't. I have never used one myself. I used Panty Hose when needed), and water tablets for years before the Steripen. The nice thing is the Steripen doesn't affect the flavor like the tablets do. Your pump will do well. Just my opinion an what works for me. Thats all. ;)

Very well thought out "system", especially considering the price point :thumbup: Well done! I like the fact you took advantage of your poles for your shelter solution.

I'd try to go lighter myself, but if you're comfortable with this load, great. Your pack definitely seems more rugged than mine.

You inspired me on posting the gear I'll use this spring in Scotland, when I'll attempt the West Highland Way in 5 days (92 miles)...still have to work on some details, but the main parts are decided :D

Great post bro :thumbup:

Very well thought out "system", especially considering the price point :thumbup: Well done! I like the fact you took advantage of your poles for your shelter solution.

I'd try to go lighter myself, but if you're comfortable with this load, great. Your pack definitely seems more rugged than mine.

You inspired me on posting the gear I'll use this spring in Scotland, when I'll attempt the West Highland Way in 5 days (92 miles)...still have to work on some details, but the main parts are decided :D

Great post bro :thumbup:

Thanks, my goal was 30 lbs or under and I could get there, but would have to get rid of some things I am not real comfortable losing. Good luck with your trip, your talking about a beautiful part of the world. I am not a distance hiker, I walk slowly, take it all in and spend more time relaxing around a camp fire then I do hiking.

Amen to looking and relaxing more than covering ground. Miles on the boots are great, but I prefer to sit back and enjoy the time out. :D

Decklin, the pack looks good. Here was my loadout yesterday with my Redwing. I went full Dizwolf on this loadout. Well minus the 2 cases of beer. :D There are lighter packs for sure, but I don't feel bad about walking through a patch of briars with this one and then throwing it against a log to take a load off.

I like the pass through side pockets. Yesterday I took more cutting tools than anything and had the Lite Machete slid through on one side and the 23.5" Fiskars axe on the other. And of course a 21" bowsaw.

2z74xgn.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Decklin, can you give us more info on the Maxpedition Tactile pouch? Are you carrying your G23 in this? Attaching it with Tac Ties over the belt? I might go with a similar setup, gun on one side, water bottle on the other.

Hey Decklin, can you give us more info on the Maxpedition Tactile pouch? Are you carrying your G23 in this? Attaching it with Tac Ties over the belt? I might go with a similar setup, gun on one side, water bottle on the other.

That is exactly the plan, but I haven't got them in yet. Those and the SPOT locater are the only thing listed that are on order.

I expect it will work out ok. Only thing I can think of to keep my firearm where I can get to it with minimal inconvenience.

I'll let you know when I get it together.

Back