30" Kobra

Got one of the 30" Kobras that Uncle mentioned he had on the thread about the khuks that went to Japan.
This one is made by Sanu. The first impression is that it was heavier than the 30" Sirupati also by Sanu. A quick check and indeed it is. The Kobra weighs 44 oz. and the Sirupati weighs in at 38 oz. The reason for this is that the Sirupati is much more tapered from the spine to the edge. The kobra is thinner from the spine to the tip though. The bevels on the Kobra are a bit thick for what I think they should be on this khuk. They would be good on a large AK. The Kobra came with a dull edge on it. Didn't have to worry about losing any fingers as per Uncle's warning in another thread. I have not finished putting a decent edge on it yet so can not report on how it cuts yet. I do like the handle on it. It is thinner and longer than the one on the Sirupati. This helps to balance out the length of this khuk better than the shorter handle of the Sirupati. The scabbard is much more usable on the Kobra. The current village does very good work as the scabbard fits perfectly! I hope to use this khuk in the future when I have enough time to get it sharp. It is thick enough that I don't think I will have to worry to much about bending it.

Sanu is a smart kami. He knows the lightweight kobra is prone to bend if used to pry and split so he made one that won't.

He definitely did that! Also the hardness is very good too! I don't have the sophisticated sharpening tools that some members here do so it will take me a while to get that fine edge.

Hoghead, be careful, a word to the wise, I tried to cut corners to sharpen mine, and use a buffer. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!

I came damn close to losing a hand. Good luck.:)

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a buffer a the moment but will get one someday. I will be careful! Too many horror stories with these things. The 30" Kobra when sharp could really do some harm!

your a braver man than me hoghead, the 30inch cobra wouldant do some damage, it would probably make you twice the man.
top half to left, bottom half to the right of the buffer.
with the cobra merrily sailing on through the niebourhood.heeee heeee.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

just recieved my 18inch cobra,it is great.it also came not very sharp but has the nice convex edge,so no fancy sharpening gear needeed.
when i say its not sharp it will cut through my arm, a piece of wood ect no problem, but is not razor sharp.
it will be sharpend up to about how a nice sharp kitchen knife would be.
BUT KEEPING THE AXE LIKE CONVEX EDGE. :)
i am not an expert at sharpening but after many hours of tryin am getting reasonable edges on my khuks. so dont give up practice makes perfect.
having said that i am taking a khuk to a proffessional knife guy to have a convex edge put on the blade to start with. then i can maintain it after he has expertly ground+ sharpened it.
i think it will be money well spent.:D

Yes you could do some damage with this big 44 oz. knife. But as it did not come sharp didn't have to worry about the fingers when unsheathing it, originally. Now that its got an edge that has changed considerably. Someday might have to try a buffer. Jantz makes kits with sharpening and buffing wheels. Would make the big jobs smaller or the sharpener "twice the man"!

Just don't drop it on your foot

A friend of mine down in Miami caught a large barracuda while fishing one day. When he got it home he excitedly asked his wife to get the camera and take a picture of him with the fish. Holding the thirty pound 'cuda by the tail, he smiled big for the camera. That is, until it slipped from his hands, and the gaping jaws of the now deceased fish connected with his sandaled foot. He had the doc in stitches as the doc stitched him (12 to be exact), over how he'd gotten mauled by a dead barracuda:eek: ;)

Sarge

I have not tried to make light of the seriousness of the safety factor with these khuks. The fact that this khuk arrived rather dull doesn't mean that I couldn't have dropped it and stuck my foot to the floor! Doesn't sound like much fun. Years ago when in the military one of my coworkers was unsheathing a machete with his hand wrapped around the sheath and he severed the tendons in his fingers. Very lucky to have any fingers as the machete had just been sharpened razor sharp. The next morning the chief almost did the same thing examing the machete.
The Kobra would be the same way except you might not have anything to attach the tendons to! Respect the Kobra or it will bite!

Back