305 vs 705

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I love my little 305 lancer quite a bit, and have been interested in the 705 recently.

How do you think I would actually like a 705 compared to my 305 ?
They don't exactly come dirt cheap, and I want to really think about it before I actually commit to the search and purchase of one.

EDIT: mixed up the model numbers.

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with the 700 series. I'm probably wrong. but aside from the bolsters and possibly cover materials, is there a difference between the 300's and 700's?

The 709 has a more squared off bolster shape. Personally I prefer the 300 series, though I do have a few 700 series.

buy it anyways. never hurts to have more Bucks!

The early 700s had stainless steel bolsters and frames, but later changed to nickel silver. I don't know when that change was made.

Totally depends on your taste and style of knife you like. The 709 is a bit more squared off than the 309, I like them both and you will also if you like tiny knives.

I definitely love the little one.
Your picture here helps me, it seems the 703 frame is a tad beefier which seems would be very pleasant.

I have already been looking casually, but now I think I may commit to looking more seriously and pull the trigger if the right one comes along.

Damn my bad, I'm always getting the model numbers mixed up :confused:
what this should be for is the 305 vs 705

It's the 305 lancer that I quite love, it has definitely clicked more with me than the 309 companion.

Wow, the 305/705s are tiny.

Yep, I love the 305.
It just pleases me to know I can handle everything I need to with a knife I used to think of as too small to be useful, a knife that seems too small on paper but has proven to be plenty most of the time.
It's easy to get caught up in grip size and ergonomics, but with this I've found that all goes out the window.
None of that ever factors into th quick boring edc tasks I mostly face.
I can't say my larger stuff is going away any time soon, but I'd sure love to expand on the satisfaction of the little ones with a 705 and eventually another version of 305 or two.

The 705 is a hair thicker than the 305, but still a sweet, tiny knife.
pHpdPV5.jpg

The 705 is a hair thicker than the 305, but still a sweet, tiny knife.
pHpdPV5.jpg

Yeah I'm thinking I will have an appreciation for its dimensions.
Not necessarily more than the 305, just different and equally as nice of a little knife.
Honestly I'm not seeing any negatives.

I remember reading somewhere the 700s were to be a thicker tougher pocket knife to replace the 300 series or maybe to compliment it. I can't remember that part and can't find that article on it. i also seem to remember they were designed by either Chuck or maybe one of the elder Buck family members, if they were still alive during these? also cant remember.

I kinda like the 700s concept. looks less frail than the 300s.....not that they are weak. just visually the 700s look stronger and tougher and I guess maybe are.

I don't own a 705, but one thing I like about the 700 series over the 300 series is it's slight canoe shape. This allows enough room for a Sunk joint, which hides the backsquare when the blade is closed. A picture of a 701 and 301 to illustrate.
ACtC-3fM0w6Ft4GhB5Gf9lzx4ViaDukTJGuk1QdxznqAxcXUWO25hdTukexGI-iy-E3GzDXxxnW1bFkIx-9DfmSz9hYqnFy1T7Br0xA43DtjB0-_ynOPM25XFIl_0FS9C8N2uqsfh29yb0ddT4P3pQGxO_rm=w1024

O.B.

I like the 700’s series a lot over the 300’s. To me, they feel a little fuller in the hand making them easier to handle.

Perhaps look at the 703 as well. Carries in the pocket very nicely. I carry one frequently. The peanut sized pocket knives, to me, are more a knife for church carry. :)

But for most easy EDC tasks anymore, no reason either one of those won’t suffice actually. Since they can be found pretty reasonably priced, I’d get both.

I guess I didn’t know about the 700 series until I joined here. I don’t remember seeing any in displays or advertised. I do like the looks of them and I think I’ll try to find a 703 or 701 if they’re a decent price and shape.

Back