334 Large Trapper vs 317

Hi folks,

I lucked into a 334 Large Trapper, one of the late Camillus knives made for Buck. With a name like “LARGE TRAPPER” I fully expected this thing to be the Indominus Rex of the Buck slip joint hierarchy.

Is it?

BEEFY!

Uh-oh…

Dang…317 is massive…

I guess we now know, 317 is still Heavyweight Champion.

Thanks for looking !

great find on that 334. also great example of the 317 ya got there.

these two models were some of David Martins (R.I.P.) favorites. seeing these two models brought back memories of his like for these knives. he did an article on the 334 for bcci newsletter.....in memory of him heres the link....

Nice knives. Great comparison.

Those 2 blade hunting knives like the 317 were made by everyone. I have my Dads and my grandfathers and a KABAR I bought. Great knives. They fell out of favor when the 110 folding Hunter was introduced.
Made by everyone or was it made for everyone?
Someone jump me if I'm wrong but pretty sure Camillus made them for Kabar also.

addendum... googled and couldn't find supporting evidence but still think they did

Last edited:
my memory leans that way too, but im no expert on these. so ill let the experts clear that question up one way or the other.

I pretty much agree with Roger. The 317 TrailBlazer was made by Camillus and is essentially the Camillus #26 BigJack. I just posted on the Camillus forum ( https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/camillus-26-big-jack.1807955/ ) and asked for opinions. For those interested, check that thread. NOTE: The Camillus forum isn't quite as active as this forum so it might take a while to get responses.

Bert

While I certainly understand what you are saying, and totally agree Camillus made knives for everyone.

The 3 I have are different enough that I am certain they weren’t all made by the same company.

My dads is a Western my grandfather’s a Frontier (Imperial) mine is a KABAR.

Last edited:
Here's some of the 120 year history of the company that carried the KA-BAR knife and name.

I have a Craftsman that is virtually identical to my Buck 317, I know its a Camillus. I also own a modern Case, it was made by Case. The Kabar’s could have been made in house by Kabar or contracted out to Camillus in the later years. Those were the Folding Hunters of the generations previous to the Buck 110 and its many, many clones. I think the 317 style were manufactured and marketed as big game hunters knives while the heavy duty trappers were oriented to the fur/trapping trade in addition to hunters. Fascinating knives for sure - both types. OH

Buck_317.jpg

Craftsman_95026_ACA_Folding_Hunter.jpg

Case_6265_CV_Folding_Hunter_2012_(2).jpg

Schrade-25-OT.jpg

After seeing the super jumbo two blade trappers I have a hankering to get one as a novelty. 😆 looks like they’re about 9 inches closed with 8+ inch blades, probably the only knife I would display just for show. I know my grandkids would be in awe of it. 😆

Back