.357 sig

Hey there,

Been thinking of dropping in a threaded .357 SIG barrel in a Glock 27 for fun. Anyone have experiences with these screw on accessories?

I've been wondering how the .357 SIG has been doing out there. Has it become popular enough to make ammo reasonably priced.

I have heard good things about it. Any experience or knowledge on dependability, accuracy, especially knockdown. Is it true it is comparable to the <i>dreaded</i> .357 Magnum 125gr load?

I was buying a ham over the holidays and there was a local LEO in the shop. As we conversed I noticed that he was carring a Glock 31C in .357 Sig...I asked him about it, and his reply was that they used a 125 gr at about 1200ft/sec and had good results, with the compensated Glock recoil was neglible and that meant more shots on target. So I guess some police departments are finding the .357 Sig. a viable round.

Probably your best bet is to go over to glocktalk.com . They have a .357 Sig Forum that might work. There may be a few other forums over there that might be appropriate as well. The Glock 27 may or may not be able to support the .357 Sig so that's something to look into.
The .357 Sig, by the way, is very accurate and a blast to shoot. It's not necessarily worth the effort of having another caliber to keep track of, though, as your current .40 isn't all that bad. They're both pretty even, in my unexpert opinion.

I saw an article a few weeks back that the Air Marshalls recently (pre 091101) purchased Sig pistols in .357 calibre.I imagine that they are probably shooting some kind of frangible ammo in them. If I am not mistaken I think the Secret Service is using the larger Sig .357 so obvisouly they must have put it thru some extensive testing.I've handled a Sig in .357 but have not had the chance to fire one,but was impressed. My friend who has one loves the .357. Does anyone know of any "street use" of this calibre?

Thanks guys,

Sure is tipping the scale so far towards trying it out. Will give Glocktalk.com a look to. I hope the 27 is compatable with the load. Seems like a cheap way to get two in one.

Just order a stock glock barrel. You do want the profile changed by some goofy after market compensated barrel. Otherwise your holsters will not work. You may also need different mags as the follower is not the same in the .40 and .357 sig. It might work with .40 mags most of the time, but I would not use them. Next bad point. I have the .40 Glock 27 with scherr finger extensions on my mags. These are a little bigger than the pearce extensions, but not much and give a much better hold. But with hot 155 silvertips, it still gives the gun a nice ride. According to gun tests magazine, they thought that the .357 sig just was too much to make the gun really controlable. The glock 23 was the size they said was about as small as they wanted to go. Full size even better. If you ask me, this cartridge does not do a anything that the .40 does not do. Also the secret service may use it, but they have lots of sig 9mm's in use they are not getting rid of. Glocks as well in 40. They usually transition new guns in with new agents. I really think that too many people forget you have to shoot fast and accurate and this gun is a pocket rocket in .40 with the full bore 155 grain load range. For a lot of people even .40 is too much is this gun and they are better off with 9mm. But check it out for yourself. Its a modest investment.

I have bought a .40 Browning Hi-Power and am considering a .357 Sig conversion on it, but not for defense. I am looking for a flat-shooting hiking/woods gun for coyotes, etc., and prefer semi-auto to revolver. Is there really enough difference between the two cartridges to justify conversion for this purpose?

well, i carry a glock 32C and 33 daily, and love them - the tx dept of public safety recently adopted the SIG, replacing mostly SIG P220 .45 ACP, w/no complaints i have heard of - i have shot the pi$$ outta mine w/NO jams at all (one round a remington JHP had a bad primer?!?!?!) and according to several mags i've read the SIG w/a 125 gr bullet is FASTER than the 357mag - the sig round averages over 1400 fps w/some loads (speer, pro load, cor bon , federal) so i dont have a prob at all w/a 16 shot pistol w/357mag ballistics- heck many mag loads wont hit 1400 outta a 4" bbl

i am thinking of getting a .40 barrel for mine, just for kicks - my next door neighbor put a bar sto 357SIG barrel on a SIG p239, it worked great

really like the round, a lot of muzzle blast though...

little recoil imho, certainly less than my model 19 smith w/a 3" bbl and 125gr mag loads, and less blast too

sifu

Well I did it.

Thanks for the input. Glock talk was a big help. A lot of positive input on the .357 sig round. I'll have to see for myself if the accessories work.

Back