3D printing for Damascus steel

Researchers from the "Max Planck Institute for Iron Research" published a paper in the journal Nature about the possibility to 3D print Damascus steel.

Link to the abstract : https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2409-3

Apparently they were able to deposit alternating layers of soft and hard alloy (Fe19Ni5Ti) in order to have a 3D printed Damascus steel at the end of the process.

They said : "Our material has a tensile strength of 1,300 megapascals and 10 per cent elongation, showing superior mechanical properties to those of ancient Damascus steel"

There is an interesting article from arstechnica with pictures here.

I would love to have Larrin's opinion about this. Is additive manufacturing a good solution to obtain new and better steels for knives ? Can it be commercially competitive in the future ?

Last edited:
The real promoted benefit to their process is adjusting the laser parameters to get different properties, so that a single material can be used but adjusting strength based on needs, such as having low strength and high ductility/toughness in the bulk and high surface hardness for abrasion resistance, etc. This was achieved because of the specific strengthening mechanism used in their material. The pattern-welded Damascus element is mostly marketing for this paper. Regardless, alternating soft and hard layers is usually not desired in modern Damascus steels so that is not really a benefit. I wouldn’t think that laser additive manufacturing would be very cost effective either, especially after all of the necessary time delays are added in for the adjusted properties.

Researchers from the "Max Planck Institute for Iron Research" published a paper in the journal Nature about the possibility to 3D print Damascus steel.

All I can say is that I have constant thoughts about Max Planck.

Back