3V 4.7 storm cleanup

During the high winds a few weeks ago, I had the top break out of a large laurel oak in the back yard. The main trunk was 14-16" in diameter and with the branches, probably 20' long. Before breaking out the Stihl 028 (same color scheme, orange and silver), I decided to put the 3V 4.7 to use. In reality, I beat the heck out of it with a baton while wishing the rest of my 4.7s had met their target ship dates (different thread).

The pics:

8F2D9717-E2E7-47A6-BD7F-8BFB7930E37B.jpg

70E55C37-8B5B-431C-9C1E-A515C3534665.jpg

The verdict:

Survive's 3V with a Peters heat treat is a pleasure to put to hard use. After going through four cuts roughly the same size as these with a good bit of twisting and prying, I looked at the blade and couldn't find any evidence of gross damage. I was wearing thin gloves and put it through about an hour of continuous use. The 4.7's handle felt solid in hand with no hot spots but a wrist lanyard would have been handy when using it for smaller limbing cuts. I also found myself wondering if more length would have suited the work better, but didn't bother to do a side-by-side with my first-gen 5.1 as I wanted to test the 4.7's handle shape. After the work was done, the edge wouldn't shave but still sliced paper cleanly. I still wish the old stonewashed finish would have stuck around, as the peened finish seemed to bind more in the deep cuts and the blade flats collected a lot more dirt. This looked great but made the cleanup process take a little more time and effort. Since I couldn't damage the edge during this abuse, that means it's still a little thick and cutting performance could be improved with a thinner edge. I'm considering dropping the bevels some and trying again.

That oak was pretty tough stuff, and I'm pleased with the way the knife held up. Still couldn't out-cut the 20" bar on the Wood Boss though.

Orange is my favorite handle color

I alsonwith they remained stonewashed, but this new fInish is supposed to improve corrosion resistance. Looks like you gave her a good workout. Im curious as to how a thinner edge would do. Report back if you thin it out!

Thanks for the quick review and glad the 4.7 held up. Using our knives for these kinds of jobs are more fun than efficient :) After several backpacking trips with just a GSO I decided to bring a Silky or Corona saw. Makes life much easier for wood prcoessing, but it's always good to know if I had to "survive", and the only tool I had was a GSO that it'll hold up to most tasks. Maybe not the quickest or most efficient way to do things, but again I'd rather have a knife that didn't break during hard use, than one that did. Awesome way to do a knife test and thanks again for sharing.

The handle ergo's on the 4.7 make this kind of chore so much more enjoyable.

Agreed. Thinking back, I did find the G10 to be a little on the smooth side with the gloves. Maybe Ill spend some time stippling it with the Dremel or borrow Jens Anso's texturing pattern.

At least the 4.7 was fairly color coordinated with the Stihl, but the Stihl was clearly the tool for the cleanup job at hand.

Survive's 3V with a Peters heat treat is a pleasure to put to hard use. After going through four cuts roughly the same size as these with a good bit of twisting and prying, I looked at the blade and couldn't find any evidence of gross damage. I was wearing thin gloves and put it through about an hour of continuous use. The 4.7's handle felt solid in hand with no hot spots but a wrist lanyard would have been handy when using it for smaller limbing cuts. I also found myself wondering if more length would have suited the work better, but didn't bother to do a side-by-side with my first-gen 5.1 as I wanted to test the 4.7's handle shape. After the work was done, the edge wouldn't shave but still sliced paper cleanly. I still wish the old stonewashed finish would have stuck around, as the peened finish seemed to bind more in the deep cuts and the blade flats collected a lot more dirt. This looked great but made the cleanup process take a little more time and effort. Since I couldn't damage the edge during this abuse, that means it's still a little thick and cutting performance could be improved with a thinner edge. I'm considering dropping the bevels some and trying again.

That oak was pretty tough stuff, and I'm pleased with the way the knife held up. Still couldn't out-cut the 20" bar on the Wood Boss though.

Well written review, Clip., thank you :thumbup:

Please follow-up if you do drop the edge-thickness and put it to use like this again. I, for one, would be very interested to get your assessment.

My 3V 4.7 starter arrived last week but is still waiting to be put to use. Fortunately, I have a lot of dead oak standing around that needs to be processed :cool:

Back