3V Pendleton Mini Hunter never coming out I guess....

My PMH is one of my favorite knives, and I've been waiting for the 3V version to be released so I can pick one up.
I guess just because it was slated as a new release for 2015 doesn't mean it will ever be released...

Seriously CS ? We are already in to 2016, and I have yet to find one. Oh well. It's not the end of the world, and there are plenty of other choices on the market.

Patience has never been one of my strong points, but stuff like this makes me grumpy...

I actually quit looking for one, but did go on CS website a couple days ago, and it still shows back ordered. If they have been released and I missed it,
please send me a link via P.M. It wouldn't be the first time I've missed something :D

I think you just have to be patient. The 3V Tantos were slated for 2015 but didn't hit the stores until January 2016.
Cold Steel had to set up new manufacturing arrangements in Taiwan for many models that are ending production in Japan.

It will come. The Warcraft Magnum Tanto was a 2014 release, but didn't arrive until well into 2015. In the meantime, I'll content myself with one of the new magnum tantos.

Well it seems to be somewhat normal I guess. It's really not a huge deal, and not like I have to have one tomorrow. I will still be picking one
up when they do finally surface.

I have never been a CS fanboy, but in my search for a sub 4 inch camp blade I stumbled into the new Cold Steel 36LPCSS. I was hoping to find 3V, and with DLC would be a bonus. Imagine my surprise. I was hoping to stay with a convex grind, but I guess you can't have everything. So my questions are... How does Taiwan made CS 3V likely stack up against "better" brands (Bark River)? The steel is one thing, but tempering and grinding can still be a big issue. How common is it to replace CS handles with G10 or Micarta? Are there 3rd party ones or "pimpers" who make it their business to do this work? The main thing I like about the Pendleton is the ample handle with a short blade. Bark River doesn't seem to offer many short blades with adequate handle lengths. Can anyone suggest a source for a nice kydex for the Pendleton that works for horizontal carry?

Sorry about all the newb questions. I'm about to pre-order on knifecenter, but I'm not usually a fan of Taiwan made knives.

I have never been a CS fanboy, but in my search for a sub 4 inch camp blade I stumbled into the new Cold Steel 36LPCSS. I was hoping to find 3V, and with DLC would be a bonus. Imagine my surprise. I was hoping to stay with a convex grind, but I guess you can't have everything. So my questions are... How does Taiwan made CS 3V likely stack up against "better" brands (Bark River)? The steel is one thing, but tempering and grinding can still be a big issue. How common is it to replace CS handles with G10 or Micarta? Are there 3rd party ones or "pimpers" who make it their business to do this work? The main thing I like about the Pendleton is the ample handle with a short blade. Bark River doesn't seem to offer many short blades with adequate handle lengths. Can anyone suggest a source for a nice kydex for the Pendleton that works for horizontal carry?

Sorry about all the newb questions. I'm about to pre-order on knifecenter, but I'm not usually a fan of Taiwan made knives.

The Pendleton Mini's are great knives. I like my knives smaller though, and some people don't...
I will still get a 3V version if they ever come out, but I'm keeping my VG-1 too. Like a lot of people, I would prefer if all my knives were made in the U.S, but that said, I've owned several knives made in Taiwan and the workmanship has been very good.

BR makes some nice looking knives, and I've owned 4 different models, but IMHO CS and some other companies offer a better value and have just a good
or even better quality.

If you look in the Exchange sub-forum on here, you will find quite a few members that make sheaths, and make custom scales for just about
all kinds of knives.

The 3V Pendletons are expected to be release very soon. Hopefully within the next week or so
I don't have a definitive date, but I'll post more as I get more info

What about a Folding Pendleton Hunter in Xtra hardened XHP w/ a flat saber grind, but blade shape like the San Mai III PH? Would that tide you over?

I got a couple of the 3V Pendleton Mini Hunters the other day. Heading to Indianapolis for a Gun & Knife Show this weekend.

The Mini Hunters have been shipping for several weeks.
The Pendleton Hunters are expected very soon. I am hoping to see them released within the next 4-6 weeks

AMENDED: A small advance shipment went out to pre-orders last week. So some 3V Pendletons may apprear on dealer sites soon.
The larger shipment is due in 4-6 weeks

Last edited:
IMG_2559_zpsnloopteg.jpg

Received my 3V Mini Pendleton yesterday from KC. The blade measures 2 7/8", with a 2 5/8" cutting edge- a tad smaller than expected - but I love the longer handle. Very nice package and extremely sharp!

Last edited:
Back